lostsoul65
Newly Registered

snow after pruning

Should I go to weather.com and make sure that there isn't going to be any snow for 10 days before I prune any trees in February. If I prune the trees and then it snows will that cause problems?

affgar

It depends what you are pruning.

Here in Australia, I live in a European style climate. Pruning plants that will shoot quickly is a sure recipe for disaster before frost or snow (there are a few plants that tolerate it).

If pruning deciduous trees ... prune after sap has stopped flowing. Similar to roses. They like to be pruned when dormant. They take their energy back into their stems & roots after leaf drop. Then in spring they will put out shoots again.

Here we prune around July for roses ... other side of the planet is opposite 8)

Many plants like to be pruned after flowering.
Understanding the flowering cycle can give you an indication on when to prune (if a flowering plant/tree).

Life germinates, grows, flowers/fruits, reproduces, grows. Most plants start that cycle in spring or autumn.

Any idea what trees you are wanting to prune?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I agree, it depends greatly on what you are pruning and as affgar noted there is a whole range of different times in the plant's cycle to prune, depending on what it is. But for things that are pruned when they are dormant, then they are dormant and snow or freezing coming after the pruning is not a problem.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”