LJW
Newly Registered

Umbrella tree oozing sap

I have a beautiful 6 year old umbrella tree that has never caused me any problems until the past month or so, when it started to ooze sap. The tree still looks healthy, and continues to produce new octets, but the oozing has increased and many leaves are now covered with sticky liquid sap. Some of the sap is getting on the floor and nearby furnishings, too, although the plant is not in direct contact with either. If I cannot treat this problem, I will have to sacrifice the tree, and I don't want to do that! Can anyone help???
Additional info that may be helpful: the tree has been pruned several times, and turned periodically to encourage even growth. It is in a corner near (but not directly in front of) a large, west-facing window covered by sheer lace curtains. It was repotted once, several years ago, when it outgreww its container. I water it about once every 10 -14 days. There is no discoloration of leaves, no excessive leaf loss, no evidence of pests, and no other visible signs of distress.
Thank you.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I personally can't think of any way to stop the tree from leaking sap that won't harm the tree. And I don't want you to harm the tree. There is some physiological reason why the tree is leaking but, I can't think of any right now. I'll ask to colleagues if I have time.

For now, I would move the furniture and perhaps place some catchment dishes to collect the sap. I wouldn't be to quick to take the tree down. Also, ask the staff at your local nursery to see if they have any tips. But, don't go sealing the tree up with any products, at least not for now.

Any other advice would be more than welcome.

Opabinia51

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”