mw2478
Newly Registered

Tree with rotting limbs and strange fungus

Just moved in to a new home - have a tree which has several rotting limbs (falling off in strong breeze), and the rotted limbs are covered with a strange white fungus (see picture from one limb). Anyone know what this is? Less than half the tree appears to be impacted, can I prune the affected limbs and save the tree? Any other remedies? Thank you for the help.
Attachments
TreePic.jpg
TreePic.jpg (14.27 KiB) Viewed 1284 times

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What kind of tree is it and where are you located?

mw2478
Newly Registered

Unfortunately I don't know what type of tree it is - if it matters the vertical reach is probably ~20 feet, dripline radius probably 15-20 feet - located in the Philadelphia area. Thanks.

imafan26
Mod

Try posting a picture of the whole tree and a close up of the leaves. Someone might recognize it.

If it is an old tree, it might just be at the end of its' life cycle or had some disease or pests that have gotten in.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

At a GUESS, the fungus may not be what is killing the tree, but just something that is colonizing the limbs because they are dead. The fungus can be part of the process of breaking the dead wood back down.

I would try breaking some twigs on the part that looks non-impacted to see if they are still flexible and green inside.

Is the fungus only on limbs or is there some on the trunk as well? That would be a very bad sign as to whether the tree can still be saved.

cedillamuerta

Is the white material powdery or waxy? You may not be dealing with a fungus, but with scale insects. We have a similar infestation around here on Chinese privet that I think most closely resembles white peach scale.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”