questions
Newly Registered

native "red" hedge/bush not growing/stunted

So I have this area where I want to create a privacy hedge on a small hillside.

I am using a native plant that was established when we bought the house 15 years ago. The area that was already established is growing great. I can't stop it from growing, even without water.

The area that I've planted from a pot, however, is stunted and has only grown about 6" to 12" in 3-5 years.

Below you can see the two different areas. One has grown into a huge hedge and the other is just kind of sitting there like a permanent bonzai "hedge."

Can anyone give me a solution to get this growing?

I live in the Los Angeles, California, USA area in the foothills above the ocean (about 10min by car from the beach.) It's usually about 65-70F but during the summer and fall it has infrequent flashes of 85-95F (like today and this week.)

Stunted

Growing Great

questions
Newly Registered

bump

imafan26
Mod

How did you prepare the soil when you planted? if the plant in the pot was pot bound or your soil in the hole is very different from the surrounding soil and you did not blend the soil with the native soil in backfilling, or you did not give the plant enough water or have enough water in the surrounding area.

If the plant is contained in its planting hole because the soil and water better there than the surrounding area the plant may behave like it is still in a pot. The soil from the native area needs to be blended with amendments to retain moisture in sandy soil for the roots to want to reach out. Plants in their first year need to have adequate water for the roots to spread and it is not uncommon for the top growth to be slow until the roots are established. If there are not many nutrients or water available in the surrounding soil, the plant may not be inclined to reach out that far.

https://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/ho-100.pdf

questions
Newly Registered

The plant died when I forgot to water it.

I've put in a new (same kind of plant). I dug a hole and put the plant in it. The plant grew more while in the pot than while in the ground at this location.

The old plant was there for 3 years and didnt grow an inch.

The new one has been there for almost a year now and hasn't grown. It actually grew while in the pot but not while planted in this particular spot on the hill.

Is there such a thing as competition from underground roots from an evergreen shrub? That's what I think is happening. The evergreen shrub must put out some kind of chemical preventing the growth of the this plant.

It gets water every day and fertilizer regularly as well. It's alive just not gettting any bigger.

25 feet away, the same plants, on the same hill, that have been there for decades are 35 foot tall and growing like crazy, but the newly planted ones won't grow.

Tips on how to make it grow big and make a hedge?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Your pictures are no longer showing and I don't know what kind of shrub you have.

questions
Newly Registered

Here is the one that won't grow.

Here is the same kind of plant that is 25 feet away that grows like crazy.

I don't know the name of the plant but I was told it was native to southern California which is where I am located.

imafan26
Mod

What else is different about the spot that doesn't grow from the other hedge

Is there a wall near the others?
Does this spot always look bare?
Does anything grow in this spot, grass, weeds, other plants?
Is the soil here the same as the one by the other plants? Is is harder, a different color, etc.
When it does rain, does water pile up or erode down in the bad spot.

What other plants are around it? Could the nearby plants be aleopathic?

questions
Newly Registered

it's only 25 feet away so it's all the same, but the plant that grows has been there for a LONG time, this new plant is one that I'm growing new, myself.

the only thing I can think of is the roots of the evergreen plant that you see around it are stunting the growth, is that what aleopathic means?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

allelopathic means that it exudes chemical substances from the roots which keep other plants from growing near it:

Black walnut is a prime example of this. In addition to its leaves, black walnut trees store allelopathic properties within their buds, nut hulls, and roots. The chemical responsible for its toxicity, called Juglone, remains in the soil around the tree and is most potent at the drip line, though the roots can spread out well beyond this. Plants most susceptible to the black walnut’s toxicity include nightshade plants (tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, potatoes), azaleas, pines, and birch trees.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden- ... plants.htm

However, even without that, that looks like a very unfavorable spot. It is surrounded by big old roots, which if they are alive are sucking all the water and nutrients out of the soil. Even if they are dead, they may be taking nitrogen out of the soil as they decompose. It is near a wall, which probably shades it a lot of the day. It is jammed in next to a black plastic thing which may shade it, may heat up in the sun, and certainly cramps the root space, and the soil looks very hard and barren. (As imafan notes nothing else is growing there - if soil won't grow weeds, it is very bad soil indeed!).

If you would like to grow the little shrub, I would dig it out, digging as deeply as you can and getting all the roots you possibly can. If the soil is too hard to dig in, watering it well helps. Then plant the little shrub in a large container (e.g. 20 gallon size) in good soil. Put the container in a sunny spot (if the shrub has been shaded a lot, you will need to move it in to the sun gradually, so it can adapt) and take good care of it for a year or two. Then you should have a big, healthy, thriving shrub you can plant back in the landscape in a more favorable location.

questions
Newly Registered

yes, I think the plant I cut away to replace with this one is aleopathic, it's some kind of juniper evergreen.

those aren't it's roots, those are the branches of the evergreen, they are dormant/not dead and will probably come back

other things grow near it, just not the plant that I want to grow

it's in direct sun all day long, it faces directly south, so watering it every day or every other day in the summer is important

it came in a big pot and was actually growing faster when just in the pot, but, like the last attempt, as soon as you plant it in that location among the juniper it stops growing, I have some mature shrub oak that grows fine among the juniper, but not this

I'll research more on aleopathic plants and juniper and see what I can find out

starting a new plant in a 20gallon pot sounds like a good idea and growing it until it's about 10 foot high is what I might do before I plant it

I also might have the juniper completely removed from the hill by a gardener

imafan26
Mod

If those are roots. The soil there probably is depleted. Your shrub will have a better chance of surviving in a pot as Rainbow says. You can improve the soil there by tilling in some compost and manure. If there are roots under the shrub from the other trees they are probably getting most of the nutrients. Dig a saucer shaped planting hole and make sure there aren't roots to compete with anything you plant there. Do a soil test to see what you need to improve it. The shrub will probably need extra fertilizer to feed the plant and the trees around it until its root system can get established.

applestar
Mod

Yeah -- junipers are drought tolerant, which essentially means they are efficient at utilizing every drop of moisture in the soil. Probably NOT leaving much for the little upstart.

...so, before questions has this gigantic juniper dug up -- is there any future in it as a bonsai?

questions
Newly Registered

imafan26 wrote:If those are roots. The soil there probably is depleted. Your shrub will have a better chance of surviving in a pot as Rainbow says. You can improve the soil there by tilling in some compost and manure. If there are roots under the shrub from the other trees they are probably getting most of the nutrients. Dig a saucer shaped planting hole and make sure there aren't roots to compete with anything you plant there. Do a soil test to see what you need to improve it. The shrub will probably need extra fertilizer to feed the plant and the trees around it until its root system can get established.
those are not roots of the juniper, they are the branches, but as you know the branche of a juniper can send out roots anywhere it contacts the ground

ive already used miracle grow to fertilize the soil, it's getting more than enough water... the guy at the nursery yesterday said that it needs some mulch to shade the ground from baking the roots in the direct sun that it gets since its facing south, I'll try that and also try the 20lb pot to grow a mature hedge before planting it

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”