pinksand
Greener Thumb

Azalea Lace Bug Damage

I helped a friend expand and redo her garden this spring. We planted 3 dwarf varieties of azaleas that were thriving until a couple of months ago when the first one declined, then another, and now the last one is looking terrible with clear stippling and a grayish tinge. I did some research and it definitely looks like lace bugs as they're evident on the undersides of the leaves and I'm guessing this was coupled with drought that has pretty much killed at least two of them. She didn't realize how much water these guys need the first year and with all the rain we had early in the season she hadn't really needed to water them at first and didn't adjust when the rain stopped.

Another issue is that before I knew what the problem was, I picked up an Azalea Girard's Variegated Gem for her because it was the last one left at our local nursery and was so healthy and cute I couldn't pass it up. I'm keeping this guy at my house for now since we were able to identify the lace bugs and I wasn't sure what to do. If she were to dispose of the dead azaleas and plant the new one now and take care in watering it properly, would it stand a chance against the bugs? I've seen a neem drench recommended in the spring to kill the overwintered eggs once they hatch and feed on the plant or recommended to be used as a preventative. Would it be useless to treat now in the fall as a preventative for the new plant? This new little azalea is so healthy I'd hate for it to die! Also, the one azalea that is still alive, but suffering.... does it stand any chance? Is it too late in the season to treat it? The infestation is pretty bad!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The azaleas became vulnerable to the bugs because drought stressed. Azaleas need an inch of water a week, every week. Keeping them healthier and mulched will help.

I would go ahead and treat with Neem now to reduce the numbers that over-winter. Ladybugs and lacewings are predators for the lace bug. Too late in the season now, but in the spring she could order some on line as well as planting flowers that attract them. As long as you don't spray it directly on them, the Neem is not harmful to ladybugs and other beneficial insects.

Plants that attract lacewings: yarrow, dill, cosmos, all the carrot family stuff (when allowed to flower) , tansy, dandelions

Plants that attract ladybugs: all of the above plus penstemon, marigold, buckwheat

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the response RBG! So you think it would be safe to replace one of the dead azaleas with the new one if given a proper watering schedule to keep it healthy and therefore less susceptible to the lace bugs? I have some neem oil concentrate I can bring over to soak the new plant when it goes in and treat the damaged one.

It's hard to know what to do when there is so much varying information out there, a lot of which recommends chemical control. The neem oil drench seemed to be the safest option. Her garden is still getting established but hopefully it will help draw some beneficial insects as it fills in! She does have massive yarrow plants surrounding the one azalea that isn't quite dead... maybe that had something to do with it..? I just hope this new azalea will make it :)

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”