sagedavis

almonds

I assume that almonds grow on trees.
I have been toying with the idea of wanting to grow a tree, but think I need a little more information before I procede. I have not found a website with any good information on almond trees.

Here is my main concern with them.
I am zone 8, with a last spring frost of march 30 (max) and first autumn frost of oct 30.
being in Texas (near austin), I have never actually seen an Almond tree growing here.

My reasoning for this is because, I love the taste of almonds, but, also, I have been successful using almond oil as a base for making other oils from mint and rosemary leaves, but would like to try to make the almond oil itself on my own.

Realizing that it might take years for an almond tree to finally produce the nut, I may have to go with buying a sapling which has already been started, but, I am fairly clueless as to how to go about getting this all accomplished.

Anyone able to give me some help, advice, or some pitfalls that I might run into?
Thanks
Sage

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi Sage :D

The plant you are after is actually a Prunus dulcis. Check this site from Wikipedia which gives quite detailed information on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almond

sagedavis

I would like to submit the genius award to Jess.
First helping me with my roses, then, great advice on an ornamental climber, and now this wonderful link.

I am assuming that I can probably get one to grow here considering the fact that California grows a lot of almonds, and California is mostly zone 8 and 9 with similar first and last frost dates, that they should feel at home in my area.

Thanks again
Sage

sean117Ply
Cool Member

I have a very old almond tree in my yard. This year I cut it back very hard. These trees are fast growers, to keep them growing prune them back every 2-4 years. Everywhere you cut a decent sized branch new shouts will emerge. One thing to mention is that there are two types: the nice tasting almonds and the sour bitter tasting ones.

Sadly I never get to eat any because I live in Australia and Australian animals love them, from cockatoos to possums.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”