pf65

Wisteria

I have a white wisteria bush that is a least 12 years old. It was bought as a gift .I have not seen a bud or bloom since the day I received it.
I have tried several suggestions including root pruning.
Can anyone suggest a solution to this probem?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

drag a thumb nail across bark. if there is no green in the inner bark your vine has passed.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

but I'm guessing you are talking about a live wisteria that grows and puts out new leaves and all, just doesn't flower, right?

It would really help to know where you are and what some of the other things you have tried besides root pruning are.

But in the meantime, there are several things that can cause this -- it is a problem wisteria are kind of famous for. If you use high nitrogen fertilizer or if the wisteria plant is growing in the middle of a lawn that gets fertilized, that can lead to leaf growth without flowering.

You said wisteria "bush." Wisteria are not normally bushes, they are tall vines. That suggests to me that it has been heavily pruned at some point to give it a bushy shape. Pruning it at the wrong time can prune the flower buds off. However, not pruning it enough can also lead to lots of growth without flowering.

Does it get enough sun? Wisteria needs full sun for flowering.

pf65

I misspoke regarding my wisteria - it is indeed a vine not a bush and grows to a height of about 9 feet.

I am located in Zone 6B. In adsdition to root pruning I have had it suggested that a prune the vine hard.
The vine is planted away from my lawn close to my foundation with a bed of ivy at it's base. It receives morning sun until an hour past noon.

I have pruned it in the late fall.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Late fall could be late to be pruning it... the flower buds are already set for next year. But if you left at least 3-5 buds, you should still get some flowering.

Otherwise, it seems that you have been doing everything right (assuming that you are not fertilizing it there in the ivy patch).

Only other things I know to suggest are applying a phosphate fertilizer with no nitrogen or applying bone meal (next spring if it is phosphate, now if it is bone meal which takes longer to break down in to the soil) to help stimulate blooming and/or transplanting it to an area where it gets more hours of direct sun. For blooming they say wisteria needs at least six to eight hours of direct sun. It sounds like you might be at the low end of that.

Wisteria needs deep, moist soil and neutral to slightly acid soil. Do you know the pH of your soil? If you have alkaline soil like me, that is likely the problem:

Site Requirement

In order to bloom well, wisteria require full sun (six or more hours of direct sun per day) and a deep, moderately fertile, moist soil that does not dry out excessively. They will adapt to most soils, though they prefer a neutral to slightly acid soil pH of 6.0-7.0 for best results. Some type of support will be necessary as mature plants can be quite heavy.

Culture Soil Preparation

Good site preparation will help ensure plant establishment. Begin with a soil test to determine if the soil pH or the phosphorus level need correction. If so, make additions of materials as you are preparing the soil. Prepare soil in an area two to three feet in diameter and 18 to 24 inches deep. Mix into the native soil either peat moss, compost or well rotted manure, one-third by volume, to improve soil aeration and drainage.
https://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1246.html

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It is too late for me to edit above, but

PS re "If you have alkaline soil like me, that is likely the problem"

If that is the case, you could try to amend/ acidify your soil, but since it will always revert due to all the native soil around it, you will be committed to adding acidifiers (sulpher or whatever) once or twice a year forever. And probably your wisteria still won't thrive.

In alkaline soil, you are better off to plant lilacs. They actually like alkaline soil and thrive for me. I have several, including one huge old lilac that was probably planted when the house was new (90 years ago). It is incredible in the spring time.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”