ShoMe
Newly Registered

Tree in Trouble

Hello, our tree has a pretty big problem. We really need some help. It's been like this for about 4-6 weeks now, and doesn't seem to get any better. We've sprayed it with an Ortho 3-way spray for insects, fungi, and diseases, but nothing so far.

Here are some pictures.

Any ideas? Thank you.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

The frill mushrooms tell me it has died.

The branches that are not bare are wilted.

Time for a new prunus.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

tom beat me to it :) but yes I agree. The "frill mushrooms," which I call shelf fungus, grow on dead wood.

ShoMe
Newly Registered

Sorry I haven't posted back in so long. Life is very bust atm. Anyway, is there a way to save this tree? Or is it time to cut it down? :(

Thanks again!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

sorry, but I think it is cut it down time.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Showme, prunus need a regular spray regime or a structured set of replacement trees to plant out as older trees fail.

Some sprays do pass organic standard, some don't. The most dire of peach cherry pests only react somewhat to the inorganic sprays. And not at all the organic ones...

applestar
Mod

Agree -- once mushrooms that grow on deadwood is growing, that portion is dead and need to be cut back t healthy wood. When it's the main trunk, it's rarely -- hardly ever ...depends on type of of tree... salvageable.

After you cut this tree, it's best not to plant same kind of tree (prunus, stone fruit) in this area. If you get a replacement tree for this one, plant it somewhere else, and plan on planting another kind of tree here (if at all -- sometimes, the ground where a tree has died and roots have been thoroughly inoculated with mushroom fungi makes great garden bed in a couple to a few years.)

When buying a new tree, look for cultivars resistant to prevalent local diseases (big box stores are usually not the best source).

ShoMe
Newly Registered

Thank you all for your advice. We cut the tree down last weekend. It's such a shame, as that tree was kind of special. We'll be sure not to plant another tree there. I'd hate to see another one die. :(

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”