GardenerX

Tree Identification

Hmmm its been awhile since I've been on here but anyway, I need help identifying a tree in my back yard. We recently moved and found that the back yard had serious overgrowth but we did find some interesting things there as well one of them is this tree, or should I say collection of tree's. To me they look like banana trees but I would like an expert opinion and I knew this was the place to go for that.

If anyone knows anything about them please don't hesitate to respond thank you. :D
Attachments
And finally the last.
And finally the last.
tree3.jpg (43.26 KiB) Viewed 959 times
Here is the second.
Here is the second.
tree2.jpg (49.94 KiB) Viewed 959 times
And finally the last.
And finally the last.
tree.jpg (66.23 KiB) Viewed 959 times

applestar
Mod

Definitely banana -- but I'll leave what to do with them to someone less who is not trying to grow them in containers in the north. (I have to uppot mine so it will have chance to recover from the process before bringing it inside in late September/eary October)

GardenerX

Thank you I thought they were, as for what I'm going to do with them I think I'll just leave them be and let them grow down here its never cold enough to have to worry about any plants bigger than potted house plants. Also do you think they will actually produce bananas? I don't know anything about banana trees, anyway thanks again now I know what they are. :D

GardenerX

So I was walking around my back yard taking pictures of some of the other interesting things I found and as I was passing the banana trees I noticed something different about one of them and here it is. I'm assuming that this will eventually turn into a banana bunch but I'm not sure. I thought it was rather interesting so I decided to take a picture and show you guys.
Attachments
Here it is.
Here it is.
banana.jpg (41.58 KiB) Viewed 940 times

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Thats a nascent banana bunch (I'm sure thats not its name b-u-u-u-t).

There is a sliver of TX LA FL that can support banana. I'm sure we are all jealous... ;) Well, I am anyway.

GardenerX

Haha, well considering I moved into a house and that big bad bunch of trees was already here I would say I'm extremely lucky :D . I can't wait until I can go pick me some banaynays lol.

imafan26
Mod

Whoever owned the property before probably came from the tropics. Most of the plants you have posted from your yard are plants that people commonly eat and grow in their yards here.

GardenerX

Hey everyone, just thought I would give an update on the trees. They have grown about 2 feet since the last picture was taken they seem to be doing good but then heat does seem to be effecting it some there are a few burn spots but nothing you don't expect living in Texas. Also the thing that was hanging has changed, I don't know much about banana trees so at this time I'm just gonna wait and see what happens.
Attachments
Not sure what this is.
Not sure what this is.
DSCF5031.JPG (35.4 KiB) Viewed 880 times
Still not sure what this is.
Still not sure what this is.
DSCF5029.JPG (36.4 KiB) Viewed 880 times
The trees have grown a bit.
The trees have grown a bit.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”