pinksand
Greener Thumb

Locust Leafminer

A few weeks ago I noticed that my locust trees were looking rough. I looked around and realized that it's not just my trees, the locust trees I pass in my neighborhood, on the side of the highway, EVERYWHERE seem to be afflicted! The crispy brown leaves stand out against all the summer greenery.

Anyway, doing some research I've determined the problem is locust leafminer. The description and photos of the damage are identical. The trees I have are quite large and about 10-20 feet from the house so I am a bit concerned about their health. Plus, they're very tragic looking :( Do I have anything to worry about? Is there anything I can do to safely control or prevent the situation next year? Someone recommended Bayer Advanced 12 Month Tree & Shrub Protect & Feed II... any idea if this is safe to use?

applestar
Mod

I would hang birdhouses like wren houses and plant beneficial insectary -- butterfly garden can double -- around the tree instead of using something that claims to "protect" for 12 months -- that sounds like a systemic insecticide (but you probably know my bias by know :wink:)

My honey locust tree by the mailbox is humming with bees and cacophony of chatter from gold and house finches, kinglets, warblers, chickadees, titmouses (titmice?), nuthatches, et al. in spring when the tree blooms. The insectivore birds hop up and down the trunk and branches so I know they're taking care of some kind of pests. I don't know what the finches, kinglets, and warblers come for, but they do congregate in the tree.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote: titmouses (titmice?)
Haha I'm glad it's not just me, I've always wondered if the plural was titmice!?

I'm actually going through empty nest syndrome currently as the last of my baby wrens flew the nest this week! I had a lovely little wren family in one of my front porch flower pots and that mama bird definitely caught her share of bugs for those babies! Hopefully the babies will stick around and help me out with my bug problem since I offered them a safe haven in my flowers! Maybe they'll start their own families nearby next Spring!

This may be a silly question, but are butterflies predatory insects? I wasn't sure how this would help with the leafminers. I did recently plant a new garden near one of the locust trees that's full of butterflies favorites so hopefully as the plants get established over the next few years that will help. I'll have to get another bird feeder to put around that tree as well. The other locust tree already has a feeder hanging from its branches and has a bird house attached to the trunk. The trees just look so tragic :( But you're right, I definitely don't want to treat the tree with something that will harm the beneficial insects as well!

applestar
Mod

This may be a silly question, but are butterflies predatory insects? I wasn't sure how this would help with the leafminers.
Haha sorry. Sometimes what I want to say is so clear in my head that the abbreviated description seems to suffice... But it doesn't. :oops:

I meant that flowers typically planted for a butterfly garden, which maybe the kind of look you would want in front of the house, also attracts beneficial insects, which may help to target the leafminers.

...is that better? :wink:

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Oh I see! Sorry, I just wanted to be sure I understood ;)

I'm really hoping these trees can take the damage. Hopefully they'll get a break next year to recover since it sounds like it's repeat attacks that are a concern. It's just so interesting to see how wide spread the problem is! I haven't seen a locust tree that's been untouched by these leafminers!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

How well the trees survive doesn't depend on how many trees are attacked, but on how severe the damage is on each tree. Most plants can easily survive losing 10% of their leaf surface without being slowed down.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

The damage does seem to be greater than 10%, it's pretty bad, but the trees have been pushing out fresh new leaves at the branch ends. Hopefully that's a good sign?! It seems that this has been a particularly bad year for pests. Hopefully getting my front garden established will help over time.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I found this:

Control of the locust leafminer is generally not necessary. ... The locust leafminer is primarily a pest of black locust. Adults skeletonize and eat holes in the leaves; whereas, larvae mine the tissue between the upper and lower-leaf surface (mining damage is the most destructive). Under outbreak conditions, whole hillsides turn gray or brown, often suggesting fall color change. Outbreaks of the locust leafminer are generally more spectacular than destructive. In combination with other stress factors, outbreaks contribute to growth loss and occasional tree mortality.
https://na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/pest_al/l ... lminer.htm

Their point is that the damage is generally more cosmetic than causing long term harm to the tree, unless a sever outbreak of the leafminers is paired with other stress factors like drought.

Similarly:

The adult beetle feeding has little affect on the tree health. However, the mining by the larva can cause growth loss or death in trees under stress. Typically, parasites and predators will reduce the leafminer populations and chemical control rarely is warranted.
https://www.state.sc.us/forest/idleafminer.htm

There are several parasites and predators of the locust leafminer which may explain why it does not maintain large populations in one area for a long time.
https://ipm.ncsu.edu/current_ipm/01PestN ... ament.html

This is the closest I could find re what those "parasites and predators" are:

everal natural control agents including parasitic wasps and predators such as the wheel bug prey on various life stages of the locust leafminer.
https://www2.ca.uky.edu/newsreleases/2000/Jul/locust.htm

I would guess those parasitic wasps are at least relatives of the little braconid wasps which parasitize my tomato hornworms. (Today I found two tomato hornworms and both of them had already been heavily parasitized and were dying or dead.) If so, then the adult wasps eat flower nectar and pollen. To attract them, grow flowers that have nectar in lots of little florets like parsley dill etc when allowed to flower,chamomile, buckwheat, wild grapevine and others.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Wow, thank you for all of that helpful information! That last link has a photo of the adult beetles and I'm so glad that I know what they look like now! Just yesterday I noticed a squirrel had gone through one of my flower pots and tore the plants out. I was going through the soil and discovered a bunch of those beetles buried in the soil. Maybe that's why the squirrel was so intrigued? I had no idea what they were, but they look identical!

Thanks again for all the resources!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You are probably right. Squirrels love beetles. They are omnivores and eat plants and nuts and seeds, but also beetles, bird eggs, earthworms and pretty much anything they come across that has nutritional value. So your friendly local squirrel was helping take care of your locust leafminer problem. :) Planting things like dill and parsley and letting some flower really does work in attracting lots of beneficials. I just noticed that sedum is another one of those things with the tiny nectar bearing florets. Mine is blooming now and it is swarmed by a whole variety of bees, bumblebees, teeny-tiny flies, and other stuff. If there were braconids in there, I didn't spot them, but they are less than 1/4 inch long and hard to spot.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I really enjoy conversing with you here, pinksand, because you are good at coming back and giving feedback and letting us know what happened. It's getting to be a pet peeve of mine, all the people who make posts saying HELP!!!! Then I or someone writes out a bunch of info and /or asks a couple basic questions (where are you located, is the plant in full sun) and the OP is never heard from again. ... So thanks!

Anyway, one thing I have noticed is scrolling through pages and coming on the blue flower avatar and going "who is that person" and then realizing it is pink-sand. It's kind of a Stroop effect thing*. I can't seem to get the blue flower paired with the pinksand name. There isn't a pink flower you really like? :)

*Stroop effect - When the name of a color (e.g., "blue," "green," or "red") is printed in a color not denoted by the name (e.g., the word "red" printed in blue ink instead of red ink), reading the color name is much more difficult, takes longer, and is more prone to errors than when the color of the ink matches the name of the color.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Haha thanks RBG! I've got some pink gaura in full bloom right now... I'll try to get a photo for my avatar ;)

pinksand
Greener Thumb

In typical fashion, I'm following up on an old thread. (I did end up changing my avatar to my pink snapdragons lol).

My locust trees are in terrible condition this year. I'm not sure how much of it had to do with the leafminer damage or something else beating them while they were already down and weak, but they look ROUGH! One tree that splits into what looks like 2 about 4 ft up from the main trunk is half dead. I noticed because there was all this saw dust on the weeds I was pulling below. I looked up and one half is completely barren of leaves and something is making a meal of the wood or burrowing to live in it... whatever it is I can see paths from something nibbling it.

The black locust just off of our patio only has a few tufts of leaves at the very top and it looks like I lost a number of lower branches. Since they hang over our patio, this is a concern since I've already had a few fall and narrowly miss our glass patio table.

I've contacted a couple different tree companies to come out and give me estimates for any maintenance and/or removal that may be necessary. If they do have to be removed, I'd still like to replant trees in the general areas. I'd like something smaller than the black locusts. Here are some trees I'm considering (smaller tree for patio space, the left garden could handle something larger)

Serviceberry
Witch hazel
paper birch
Saucer Magnolia
Redbud

Any other suggestions? At this point I don't even know if they'll need to be removed and would be waiting until late fall to plant replacements (if I can afford it after the price of removal, yikes!)

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”