GMDgardener
Newly Registered

Tulip tree seedling - has interesting growths..

I'm growing tulip trees from seed, and I know what the normal seeds look like; they look nothing like these. Does anyone have any idea what these are?

Thx in advance!!
Attachments
IMG_1267rs.jpg
IMG_1267rs.jpg (42.96 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
IMG_1273rs.jpg
IMG_1273rs.jpg (36.66 KiB) Viewed 1109 times

tomc
Super Green Thumb

That looks to be a calkin, I'm not at all sure its growing on a tulip-tree seedling.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No I'm thinking your pots with tulip tree seeds got weeds in them. I assume you planted all that this season ? Trees do not grow that fast and would certainly not flower the first year from seed.

GMDgardener
Newly Registered

Thank you for your replies. I'll have to try again in the spring and see if I can create some sort of a make-shift greenhouse for them to ensure no weeds get in.

I planted 24 seeds, and 8 came up - exactly 9 weeks after planting. The instructions I got stated 6-10 weeks for germination. They're all the same and there were almost no other plants growing in with them. There are plenty of weeds that come up in the gardens on the property but none look like these. I was excited to think I was growing tulip trees - so needless to say, I'm disappointed that I may have been caring for weeds all this time. :roll:

I'll show you pics of the seeds I planted.

Again, thank you both for your input! :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

sorry, but they are just not trees...

Smallgardener

Those look a lot like a pigweed. Either redroot or palmer amaranth. I tried to get some acorns to sprout over the winter and spring and had no luck. I did have a walnut get in there somehow. Probably my 7 yr old did it.
Did not realize it till I pulled it up and saw the walnut shell.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”