nyakavt
Newly Registered

Weed/grass control in juniper groundcover

Hello!

I've got a hill in the back yard with several juniper plants that the previous owners have allowed to be overrun with weeds and grass. We tried pulling them all by hand, but the area is enormous and I don't think we will ever finish. Is there an herbicide we can spray that is safe for junipers? Same question for grass control.

Thanks,

John

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Hand weeding would be my first preference but junipers, especially those that aren't completely prostrate, are among the most unpleasant of all shrubs to weed around. Ornamec (fluaziflop) and Envoy (clethodim) are two grass specific herbicides that are sometimes used. I have no idea whether or not these are scheduled (requiring professional application) in North Carolina. These herbicides will not be effective on broadleaf weeds.
Two caveats:
1) If you apply them make sure you observe ALL the instructions exactly. More is not better.
2) They are most effective on new growth in the spring when the grass is less than 6" tall. It is probably too late to apply them this year. You will not get 100% control in one application, especially with perennial grasses. Some hand weeding will still be necessary.
Good luck but plan on continued hand weeding no matter what. There is no magic bullet.

nyakavt
Newly Registered

Thank you for the reply. I'll have a look around for those grass killers. Grass is really the biggest problem, the weeds just come right out of the ground but the grass requires some serious effort. If I could just kill half of it it would be a huge time savings. Thanks again!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”