punkym1242
Newly Registered

Eunonymus - Leaves falling off

We planted 4 Euonymus green spire a few months ago in full sun and next to the fence. It appears something is stripping the leaves off of the plants, or they are just falling off. We are in Zone 9, and the weather has been in the high 90's / 100's. Watering is set at once per day for 2 minutes on a drip system.

I have posted a picture of what one of the plants looks like. What shall we do?

Thank you,
Kathy
Attachments
DSC04225.JPG
DSC04225.JPG (69.14 KiB) Viewed 4102 times

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So what are the sort of tan bumps all over your plant? I can't tell from the picture if those are normal to the plant. The main pest that bothers euonymus is euonoymus scale, a variety of scale insect specific to this plant. It would look a lot like the bumps in your picture, maybe a little lighter. It sucks the plant juice and especially in a serious infestation, can lead to leaf dropping.

Incidentally euonymus is rated for part or full sun, but in my experience it does better with part sun to mostly full shade. You didn't say where you are located, but if you are in a hot sunny climate, your euonymus might benefit from more shade, especially from hot afternoon sun.

euonymus scale:

https://bugs.osu.edu/~bugdoc/Shetlar/fac ... usfem1.jpg

punkym1242
Newly Registered

We are located in California - inland from the San Francisco bay area. I will get some type of spray that treats scale, and see if that works. Thank you!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

punkym1242 wrote:We are located in California - inland from the San Francisco bay area. I will get some type of spray that treats scale, and see if that works. Thank you!

"Some kind of spray" may kill beneficial insects; read the label carefully. Honeybees, especially, are under threat worldwide, so taking them into consideration has become a prime consideration of many gardeners.

If these are young scale insects, they're susceptible to rubbing alcohol. You can apply rubbing alcohol to each one with a Q-tip or similar :twisted: and they. will. die. If they don't die, then they weren't scale, alas, and please send a more close-up photo for a second diagnosis. But I did a blow-up on your photo and think they're scale, too.

Are you in the "near" East Bay (Richmond down to Fremont) or on the other side of the hills (Walnut Creek to the valley)? If in the valley, Rainbow's observation may be helpful--that the euonymus would like some shade. According to Sunset's Western Garden Book, not all euonymus species are suited for all gardening zones, so it seems logical that some would prefer shade and others full sun.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

punkym1242
Newly Registered

We are in Brentwood. We bought the plants at Home Depot, and the tag said to plant in full sun. They are almost now in shade (3:30 p.m.).

Thank you for all the information.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”