blk133
Newly Registered

Shrubs dying, please help

Hello everybody!

Don't know what else to do but to ask here. We just bought a house in May and I hired landscapers (back in May) to trim al the bushes, do the edging etc... Nobody took care of the plants for 2 years and they grew out of control. So they came, trimmed everything and cleaned out all the debries. But now, few month later my plants/shrubs are dying.

Please help, what can I do to prevent them from dying/turning brown? I am attaching the pictures as I have no idea what they are called.

Thank you!
Attachments
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (48.31 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (57.07 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (64.98 KiB) Viewed 1321 times

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Your shrubs are juniperus horizontalis, creeping juniper.

I'm not sure what is wrong with them, but junipers tend to die from the inside out in slow motion, so by the time they are showing that much brown, it may be too late to save them.

It could be that the pruning opened them up to be vulnerable to some kind of blight or insect. Check closely for spider mites, which junipers are prone to. They are very tiny, but you might see some little bits of webbing. Hold a piece of white paper under a branch and shake the branch, see if you see any little specks like periods.

applestar
Mod

Depending on where you are located -- especially if southern states -- May might have been wrong season to prune junipers....

imafan26
Mod

There are a couple of causes and this publication may help identify the problem.

if the pruning was drastic, the hedge on the side looks like it got a side bolo, plants can become stressed and if they are not given the right growing conditions they become prone to insects and disease.
The soil looks a lot drier than in the first picture as well.

https://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/p ... c2056.html

*dim*
Cool Member

find out if the gardeners applied weedkiller to the pathway

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”