narf1963
Newly Registered

weeping pussy willow does not look good

I planted a Weeping Pussy Willow approx. 1 1/2 months ago. I found some catipillars on it, the plant got sprayed, but its not looking good. We have a sprinkler system so it does get watered every morning. Alot of the branches/leaves are brown.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi :D

What did you spray it with?
How much water does it actually get from the sprinkler?
Are you using the sprinkler when the sun is on the tree?

narf1963
Newly Registered

We sprayed it with Sevin.
The plant gets watered around 3-3:30 AM and they get about 20-25 minutes of watering every night.

Jess
Greener Thumb

The timing of watering sounds ok just wondering if it might be too much for a young, newly planted tree. Try keeping the sprinkler off of it for a week or two and see what happens. The amount of watering needed can vary depending on your soil type and how hot the weather is. Also the siting of the tree. If it is in full sun or less than six hours sun. Most people do tend to over water than underwater so I think that may be the problem. It needs time to develop a proper root system.
The spray you used sounds appropriate for the job as long as it was applied as per instructions.

Thought you might be interested in an extract from a study done on the main constituent in Sevin and its affect on the other wildlife in your garden.

Quote[We do know that carbaryl is quite toxic to honey bees, certain beneficial insects such as lady beetles, and parasitic wasps and bees, certain species of aquatic insects, and some forms of shellfish such as shrimp and crabs. Care must be taken when using carbaryl in areas where these organisms exist.]

narf1963
Newly Registered

oh my poor tree is looking worse. What kind of fertilizer is best for this plant? (The sprinkler is on for 20 minutes, but, the head is moving so its not constantly on the plant). Is the heat maybe too much on it?

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”