Smallgardener

How to repair a tree??

I have a large mulberry tree in the back yard that got bores in it and the bark is separated where they went in. The bark is pulled back and the wood is exposed about 3 to 6 inches wide and 24 inches around the side of the tree. It is noticeable that the tree is hurting on the side they did the damage up in the tree top.

What can I put on the wound to help it heal?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Nothing, though using latex paint may discourage some secondary borers from attacking the exposed wood. If mine, if the tree starts to significantly decline, I would consider cutting it down just below the damaged area. My guess is that the truck would sprout new top growth and form a new canopy much faster than when planting a new tree.

WildcatNurseryman

There is a process called bridge grafting that can help in a situation like this. It is labor intensive and somewhat complicated, but it involves grafting pencil sized whips of wood taken from the newer growth from one side of the wound to the other creating a bridge of "good" wood that will transport water and nutrition from the roots to the head of the tree. It can also be done by using small one year whips of the same species that are planted right beside the old tree and then grafted above the wound. Good luck.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”