ion

Moringa from stem cutting, remove skin/bark?

I receive a few stems of moringa and I was told to remove or peel-off the outer layer (I guess this would be the bark) on the bottom end. The cutting will supposedly improve chances of rooting, root faster, and reduce chances of rot.

I don't know why, but I didn't really believe it. I seen and rooted other (not moring) stems that rooted with the outer layer still attached. So, I dug out an old dead moringa stem. I was surprise by what I saw, roots grew from the bottom. They grew only from the 2nd outer layer. I thought they grew from the side.

So what is the truth this, is it really better to remove the outer layer? Does anyone have experiences with rooting moringa (or stem cuttings in general)?
I already stuck them in the grown without removing the outer layer. Do you guys/girls have any advice (how much should I water, etc.) to propagating a stem cutting?

imafan26
Mod

We started it with a 5 foot young limb about 2-3 inches in diameter. We just stuck it in the ground and did not even put rooting hormone ore anything else on it.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Moringa is eaten isn't it? Is it at all cold hardy?

Richard

organicPete

moringas are excellent as a survival plant. yes - the leaves are very edible.
unfortunately - they do not tolerate cold well.
I really wish I could grow them where I live, but even in So CA the winters are a bit too cold.

organicPete

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sometimes known as miracle tree:

Here's what wiki says:
Much of the plant is edible by humans or by farm animals. The leaves are rich in protein, vitamin A, vitamin B, vitamin C and minerals.[4] One hundred grams of fresh Moringa leaves have: 2 times the protein of 100 g yogurt (Moringa 8.3 g, yogurt 3.8 g); 4 times the calcium of 100 g milk (Moringa 434 mg, whole cow milk 120 mg); the same potassium as 100 g banana (Moringa 404 mg, banana 376 mg); the same vitamin A as 100 gm carrot (Moringa 738 μg, carrot 713 μg); 3 times the vitamin C of 100 g orange (Moringa 164 mg, orange 46.9 mg.[5]
Feeding the high protein leaves to cattle has been shown to increase weight gain by up to 32% and milk production by 43 to 65%.[6] The seeds contain 30 to 40% oil that is high in oleic acid.

But it is a tropical, not at all cold hardy. Someone wrote in here awhile back trying to grow moringa from seed indoors, but not having much luck.

imafan26
Mod

Moringa leaves and the young seed pods are edible. It is a large tree, if you live in a frost free zone it is worth a try. It is a common tree in Filipino yards. It is usually hacked a lot since the leaves are constantly being harvested. I grew it from a 5 foot branch that was just stuck in the ground, with no special attention paid to it. It took a while to kill it, it kept trying to sprout.

All cuttings root from the cambium layer and not the bark. That is why you do a 45 degree cut and wound the bark, to expose more surface area that can root. The only exceptions I know of are tomatoes, anthuriums, and orchids which will put out roots at nodes along the stem.

https://www.moringatreeoflife.com/Recipes.html

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

organicPete wrote:moringas are excellent as a survival plant. yes - the leaves are very edible.
unfortunately - they do not tolerate cold well.
I really wish I could grow them where I live, but even in So CA the winters are a bit too cold.

organicPete
Southern California is okay. They do become dormant - they stop growing, and if winter happens to be colder, they would drop the leaves, but wouldn't die, and resume growing in spring. I am in Los Angeles, and growing them, although just for couple months now, from seed -they are about a foot tall now in pots. I am not allowed to put tree into the ground at the community garden plot.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”