pinksand
Greener Thumb

Oakleaf Hydrangea 'Alice' Care

I have been in search of an oakleaf hydrangea since last summer. I found a variety of sizes and cultivators available online and was tempted by some of the dwarf varieties like "Ruby Slippers." However, I purchased a number of plants online this Spring and was disappointed to find more mature, slightly less expensive plants at a fabulous local nursery. Every time I pass my twiggy agastache purchased online, next to the less expensive agastache in full bloom I want to kick myself. Anyway, I've really been determined to find an oakleaf locally so I can pick out a healthy one and know what I'm getting!

I found an Alice! Not quite the petite Ruby Slippers, but I think I have two options where it would have room to grow quite large. Any advice for care? I've seen mixed info on light conditions. Would it do okay in full sun with some dappled shade from a nearby tree?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I was hoping our hydrangea expert, luis would come by.

Since he hasn't, this confused me:

full sun with some dappled shade from a nearby tree

sounds contradictory, which is it full sun or some dappled shade, which sounds like part sun?

Hydrangea generally doesn't like full sun and especially doesn't like hot afternoon sun. If you can put it somewhere where it has some protection from afternoon sun, it should do fine. I have my oakleaf hydrangea under a big old tree where it gets no direct sun and it is blooming beautifully right now, so it can handle pretty much shade as well.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Sorry for being contradictory, I'm guessing that the spot gets about 6 hours of sun... a few hours in the morning, a shade break, then a few more hours of sun.

I planted it last weekend and I've done some more online research and it sounds like Alice likes full sun to part shade so I'm hoping these conditions will be appropriate. I just love this plant! However, some of the lower leaves appear to have leaf spot. All of them seemed to have some progression of it at the nursery. Have you ever dealt with this before? Any recommendations?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

My friend has a large oak leaf planted near his porch. The plant gives a spectacular display each spring, but is also very invasive with its many offshoots that sprout from the root zone. I don't know if this is characteristic of all oak leaf hydrangeas or not. For any oak leaf that displays this very invasive behavior, IMO careful thought should be given to location. I would not plant one in any location that can't be mowed completely around, so as to confine the plant. This is not a good plant for near a foundation.

I did take a sprout from the plant and placed it in a large planter, about 35 gallon on our deck. The growth is held in check, and the bloom is breath taking. I'll stay vigilant however, looking for any sprouts that may come from seeds dropping. I would expect that seeding would also represent a problem in some areas, where the soil stays moist and where large naturalized areas exist. For me this is a great plant, but one that requires some planning and a bit of management if it is not to overgrow and spread into unwanted areas.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

In the shady area where mine is, it does not spread, just gets bigger. Maybe it would if given more sun, I don't know.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”