jax2709
Newly Registered

Acer

Can you tell me why my acer which is planted in my garden has got white tips on its leaves. It is approx 3 years old, was bought in a pot and planted out after 1 year in the pot. It is about 3 feet high and is regularly watered. It looked really healthy early in the spring but has now developed these white tips on its leaf edges. Help please. :(

Jess
Greener Thumb

What kind of soil do you have and what variety of Acer? It sounds like it may be nutrient deficient. Check this link for Acer cultivation. It specifies Palmatum but don't worry if this is not the one you have as Acers in general like these conditions to thrive.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0403/acer_cultivation.asp

jax2709
Newly Registered

I am not entirely sure of the variety of the Maple but looking in my tree and shrub book I would say it looks like a Palmatum Atropupureum. Also I am not sure of the soil type either but I do intend to get a testing kit. Do Acers like an acid soil?

Jess
Greener Thumb

If it is a dark leafed form the acidity will give you a better,richer leaf colour. You can always use vinegar to achieve this. Add 1 cup of vinegar to a gallon of water and water it occasionally through the growing season.
This helps release iron in the soil for the Acer to use.

jax2709
Newly Registered

Thank you for that tip. Will this acidity also stop the leaf tips from going white do you knpw?

Jess
Greener Thumb

It might do. Plant nutrient uptake is a complex procedure. So many factors can cause an imbalance. You may end up having to put it back in a pot where you can better control the growing conditions.
Check out this link which hopefully should help you decide what to do as white leaves are a telltale sign that your Acer is really struggling to deal with the new environment it is in.
https://extension.usu.edu/files/gardpubs/ironchlo.htm

jax2709
Newly Registered

Thank you for all your help. I will keep you posted as to my results.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”