Purplehaze13
Newly Registered

Camellia Leaves Yellowing

During this past winter and spring, one of my camellia trees has thinned out and developed yellow leaves. It did bloom, but months later than the other trees and with very deep red flowers, which were much darker than the other trees. It is planted near my front steps and behind a row of azaleas, and leaves have a tendency to pile up there and stay wet. I've read they are susceptible to root rot, but I don't know if that is the case or not. I'm including a picture of one of the leaves. I appreciate any advice you guys can give me!
Attachments
IMG_20130609_155235_480.jpg

Big D

Nitrogen deficiency is a common cause of Yellow Leaves on a Camellia...this sympton can have many causes Root problems being one of them...

If the yellowing is confined to the areas between the veins then the problem is most likely to be a Nutrient deficiency...

Remedy....Long term mulching with Organic matter..ie..well rotted Garden Compost or Manure this provides a steady trickle of Nitrogen to stabilise levels...

Short term...applying high Nitrogen Fertilisers such as Ammonia or Poultry Pellets will remedy the problem..

Nitrogen promotes green leafy growth and lack of or deficiency causes yellowing and stunted growth...also being very soluble it is easily washed out of the soil during heavy rains leaving the soil deficient when plants are putting on new growth... some yellowing leaves also have a pinkish edging...

Purplehaze13
Newly Registered

Thank you for the reply. I had read about nitrogen deficiency but wasn't sure if those leaves were showing those signs or not. It sounds like it might be, though. It is in an area that gets a lot of rain off of our porch, so it would make sense if the nutrients are washing away.

Big D

We have lots of rain here in the North West...hence the song "40 Shades of Green" if its a problem in that particular part of your Porch would you consider putting up Guttering to collect Rainwater for use on those Hot Sunny Days I hear so much about in the US. :flower: ...It could help solve your problem...

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”