Cola82
Green Thumb

Encouraging a maple seedling

Hey, so this is maybe sort of a weird question, but I found a dried up whirligig on my patio from who knows where and just put it in a couple of soil for a few weeks and now I have a sprout. I'm right in assuming this is from the seed I planted, yes? There wasn't anything else in there.

It doesn't look like the photos I've seen online of maple seedlings, which is why I ask. It also sound like it shouldn't have germinated so fast. I mean, I guess I'll find out soon either way if it lives.

If it's a maple seedling, what should I do now that it's sprouted? It was in the 80s when I planted it, but it's since gotten cold again, so should I bring it in?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

applestar
Mod

Re: Encouraging a maple seedling

I don't know... It doesnt look like a maple seedling from a whirligig -- They have a pair of oval cotyledons.

The whirligigs like to lay on top of uneven kind of soil or preferably between leaf litter or weeds or blades of grass, and when they get soaked or there's enough moisture, they send down a root. Once the root gets a good grip on the ground, the whirligig stands up with the wing blade up in the air, and that's when the cotyledons shed the husk/wing and open up.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Cola82
Green Thumb

That's what I found when I looked up photos of Maple seedlings, but I went in with a knitting needle and dug until I found the blade. It's definitely coming directly from the whirligig. I know I did this wrong, but will it be okay? :(

Not that I should be all that invested. After all, I just took a bit of litter and stuck it in a cup. I'm way too sentimental.

applestar
Mod

You think? I love the idea that trees and things grow from the comparatively tiny seeds. Watching it happen is pretty magical. :mrgreen:

...maybe it's not a maple samara. See what you think:
https://waynesword.palomar.edu/plfeb99.htm

Oh! Does the linked site have the giant glider seed video on it? Have you seen it?
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

applestar
Mod

Darn! I can't watch it on the iPad. I'm sure there are copies "floating around" on YouTube.
This is the original, I think. Is it working?
https://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_ne ... 391345.stm

Cola82
Green Thumb

I'm pretty sure it's a maple, especially now that I've reviewed the link you sent me (that video is super cool, you should watch it later). Here's a photo of the seed when I dug it up.

It kind of looks like the cotyledons were trapped under the soil and stayed in the husk, but that it managed to send up a stalk of leaves. It has a pretty long root.

benali

Maple trees grow wild all around where i live. I've found this useful --

(1) they are extremely sensitive to root shock. If you move it, be sure to only work with a huge hunk of dirt that totally encompasses it's little root system, however much that has grown

(2) they love to grow in black dirt out right in the hot sun. But you can really speed their growth if you dump water on them when it's dry. You can get twice as much growth by doing this during their first few years.

Have fun!

Cola82
Green Thumb

I was worried about exactly that, so as soon as I saw the root on the bottom of the ball I was holding, I dumped it back in the cup on top of some more soil and kept as much of it covered as I could.

I have it under a grow light right now because it's been so cold outside. The forecast keeps promising to warm up within a few days, but so far it's remained pretty miserable. That's the Pacific NW for you, I guess. If it isn't raining buckets until after the Rose Festival in June, then something's wrong. We were all pretty weirded out when it was 90 degrees out there in April.

Cola82
Green Thumb

Seems to be thriving. I should probably put it in a much bigger pot, yes?

mittengardener

Looking good! I have a sapling that came up on its own and I am going to put it in a pot today.

Cola82
Green Thumb

So cute! I need to do the same. They grow so fast. D:

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”