KLB41
Newly Registered

Bradford Pear, Flowering Plum, Jon Jon Magnolia: New in Ark.

Hello all...

My sweet husband got me 2 Bradford Pears, a flowering plum and a magnolia for Mother's Day. The only tree or shrub I have ever attempted (and successfuly) grown is one dogwood (I killed the other one) and a few azalea bushes (again, I killed a few of them too). :cry:

I need help. I have areas of full sun in my front and back yard that they can be planted and some areas of partial shade in both that a smaller tree might be able to fit into. I don't know what I need to do about transplanting them into the yard.

What kind of soil?
Shade? Sun?
Mulch?
Watering?
Feeding?
Anything else I need to know?

I am so very new at this type of thing, but I enjoy it SO much and want so badly to be good at it. Especially since they are a Mother's Day gift from my husband.... Although I think he went a little over board with buying me 4 TREES!

If I post a picture of my front/back yard will that help you guys tell me where a good place to plant will be?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

-K

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Where do you live? (Very important; "full sun" in Florida isn't the same as "full sun" in either Minnesota or Oregon.)

Is the "full sun" to the north / east / south / west of the house? How many hours a day is the "partial sun"?

What kind of soil is in the ground? Is it sandy, as if it used to be part of an ancient beach? Clay, as if the Native Americans could have made adobe bricks out of it? Loam/loess, which lies somewhere between these two extremes and is usually thought of as "great stuff"?

You're right: you want to do right by such a generous gift! But please provide more information so that members here can, in turn, help you out as much as possible. :D

Welcome to The Helpful Gardener. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

KLB41
Newly Registered

I'm sorry I didn't think to include some of the most important information. :oops:

I live in Central Arkansas
The soil is loamy with lots of rock about 8-12" down
We have a huge yard. Partial shade on the north. Some areas of partial shade and full sun on both east and west. I'm not really sure but the partial shade areas probably have 5-6 hrs of sun. Full sun area is mostly on the west side of the house

Please forgive my ignorance. I don't really know what I'm doing. I think he got me more than I can handle.

Please let me know if there is any more information I need to provide.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Arkansas is pretty well into the south. You are going to keep your tree babies mulched with bark mulch and water them every day it don't rain till November.

Mulch is going to need to be perpetually maintained. Plan on buying a bag or three per tree every spring. Pine bark (soil conditioner) is probably the cheapest. It'll do.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”