mmaynar1
Newly Registered

Newly planted Flowering Crabapple tree

I have a question I am hoping someone here can help me with. This is my first attempt at gardening, so please bear with me :)
This weekend I planted a flowering crabapple tree in my front yard. Our soil has a clay-like consistency and I mixed garden soil with the natural clay-like soil from our yard. I watered it really well right after I planted it on Saturday and then again on Monday. I went out to water it again today but I noticed that most of the flowers have fallen off. Is this normal? Am I watering it too much? Not enough?
I really have no idea what I am doing, so any help is very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Michelle

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Transplanting a flowering tree is always a stressful time for the tree and the first thing is that the tree goes into survival mode and drops flowers. If you dug a really large, wide hole and mixed garden soil and native soil you should be OK. Tree roots tend to stay where it is easiest to grow. You may have a small root area by mixing soils. It is best to use the soil the tree will grow in so the roots spread out to find nutrients. Water deeply but don't drown the tree. Once or twice a week will do in the beginning. As the tree gets established water less often.

mmaynar1
Newly Registered

Thank you for your great advice and thank you so much for your quick response. :)

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”