Amber197
Newly Registered

Dogwood Not Flowering...

... or rather, it's flowering with really really pathetic, shriveled flowers.

I've dug around the internet for answers but I don't think it's the Anthracnose disease that they say. Some people say they're supposed to be in full sun, some people say they aren't. Mine is, but right now, it's practically 3x my height so it may be more reasonable to plant more trees around it than uprooting the whole thing and moving it somewhere else.

I live in the east coast, in between the borders of zone 6 and zone 7. Good periodic rain. Full sun. er... what else. Well drained soil. The tree is thriving, it's just the flowers. Ugh the flowers. It looks like a balding cherry tree.

I took a macro shot of the flowers. They're curling back around the edges and turning a little purple. What is happening and what should I do? Please help!
IMG_1033[1].PNG
IMG_1031[1].PNG
IMG_1032[1].PNG
Thanks in advance!

shadylane
Green Thumb

looks to large to move..what type of dogwood is it? A Georgia dogwood has the purple tips...have you fertilized it to much...how old is the tree? they live 20-25 years.

Sorry perhaps other tree minded gardeners will come to give a proper answer

Amber197
Newly Registered

Hi, thanks for replying.

I don't know what type or how old it is. It was here when we moved in so I'm guessing about 4+ years old. We haven't added any fertilizers or done anything other than leaving it there to grow. Almost all of the dogwoods I've seen so far have flat flowers as if on a 2D plane. However, for this tree, the flowers are all curling backwards even before they bloom.

Thanks for your input!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It doesn't look "pathetic" to me, just a little different. It may just be a different variety than you are used to. There's a whole ton of different dogwoods. We used to have a panicle dogwood, which you wouldn't even recognize as a dogwood, because it didn't have the big showy bracts. There's shrub dogwoods, ground cover dogwoods ...

Your title says "not flowering," but it clearly is flowering rather profusely. The flowers just look a little different than you expected them to.

Amber197
Newly Registered

Oh ahaha... sorry about that.

Thanks for your input! I guess that explains it.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”