CoconutPalms
Newly Registered

orange like worm eating my plants

Hi everyone

I don't know which part of the forum to post this. So I'll try here

I've got a plant with lots of elongated leaves. I don't know the name of the plant.
It is being attacked by orange worms.

Description.
I saw lots of black lumps all over the leaves.
Upon breaking up the lump I found fat orange coloured like worms.
Apparently they shed the black soft mass when they are full grown
and they appear on the leaves and start eating the leaves.
What are they and how can I get rid of them?

Thank you

applestar
Mod

I'm thinking the "black lumps" sound like galls, but that still doesn't tell us what they are. Since they are worm-like, I'm thinking maybe a type of saw fly larvae though?

Since they eat the leaves and there are a lot of them, obviously they are pests.
Can you remove all the leaves with the black lumps on them before they emerge? ...or are there too may of them or are the leaves difficult to reach?

CoconutPalms
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:I'm thinking the "black lumps" sound like galls, but that still doesn't tell us what they are. Since they are worm-like, I'm thinking maybe a type of saw fly larvae though?

Since they eat the leaves and there are a lot of them, obviously they are pests.
Can you remove all the leaves with the black lumps on them before they emerge? ...or are there too may of them or are the leaves difficult to reach?
If I remove the leaves, there will no plant left as it does not flower often.
The orange like worm resembles a ladybug but they are not ladybugs.

I've tried spraying with soapy water but it does not kill them.

applestar
Mod

Are you saying they are orange with black spots? Not that they are ladybug larvae right? (because if so you don't want to kill them and, anyway, ladybug eggs are yellow)

Are they like this?
:arrow: https://bugguide.net/node/view/585049

If you are saying it is a small plant, then I would rub the black lumps off -- the trick with pests is to get them while they are not moving. :wink: If you don't want to do this with bare hands, maybe wear kitchen gloves dunked in soapy water. (unless these are delicate leaves -- then you may need surgeon's gloves)

...It's difficult to give advice without knowing what the plant is.... :?

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”