LA47
Green Thumb

When to transplant Dwarf Alberta Spruce

I planted 2 Dwarf Alberta Spruce (3 to 4 foot high) on the south side of my house. Apparently they were winter burned, I guess, as the needles on the south side are brown and the rest look great. I'd like to transplant them behind my privacy fence so they will get more protection. What time is the best for transplanting them.?

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Don't know your location or zone so its hard to say too much specifically.

However, we've moved DA Spruce in the Spring and Fall timeframes. A lot of folks say fall is best but....

If you move it in the Spring be sure you water it well before digging it out to help with transplant shock. Ensure you dig out about twice the size of the root ball. You want to get all the root ball and not cut it off too much.

After transplanting it, you will need to keep it watered at least weekly for the growing season and watch to ensure it does not wilt during hotter weather which may require more frequent watering.

If in the fall, you want to do it early enough to avoid harsh cold temperatures and give it time to settle in before the cold and freezing comes.

Hope this is helpful. :)

LA47
Green Thumb

Thanks S-jeff, That's kind of what I thought but, as I've never transplanted an evergreen, I wanted to make sure.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”