domesticdiva

Ready to replace these twiggy shrubs

Okay....I was inexperienced when I planted these around 5 years ago ....obviously they are panted too close together.
The Indian Hawthorne has now become very twiggy...I'm assuming its "choking". I'm willing to rip it all up...except for the tree.
What shrubs should I plant? Preferably something that doesnt grow over 3-4 ft...I like evergreens and classic southern shrubs...like gardenias and azaleas but not sure how they do as foundation shrubs.... I prefer low maintnance...I don't like pruning much because I like a "natural" look.
This is the front of the house where the sun rises. Zone 7
Thank you so much for suggestions!!!

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Someone with more experience will probably come along with some great suggestions, but since you're in my zone I figured I'd mention one of my new favorites. I planted an abelia gradiflora 'confetti' last summer and so far I just love it! The butterflies loved the little white flowers that bloomed through fall and then the leaves turned a bit rosy, staying ever"pink" through winter instead of becoming a pile of sticks. It stays pretty small and has arching branches that look best with minimal pruning IMO. Mine gets morning and some afternoon sun and has done well, putting out new green growth now that it's spring.

domesticdiva

Ooohhh prettyy! (I just googled it) I'd love to see a pic of yours!

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I saw in your other thread that you ended up with some abelia! I'm so glad :)

I'm sorry, I kept meaning to take photos but would think of it after dark. I'm glad you liked them! I'd love to see the finished project :)

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”