MeginMichigan
Newly Registered

Colorado blue spruce is big and old and sick...what now?

Hello all,

I have a (BIG) tree problem. We have a Colorado Blue Spruce in our back yard that was probably planted around the time our home was built (mid-60s). She is about 50 feet tall and experiencing some problems. Most of the branches about 15 feet from the ground are dead and brittle and needle-less. This seems even worse than last year (when we moved in), but I didn't take a photo so I am not certain. Is this just the tree aging and dying? Is there anything we can do? I would love to prolong her life if possible, because I have become strangely attached to my trees :D , but also have concerns about safety. Do all of these dead branches make the tree less stable and more likely to fall down during a storm? We get some pretty brutal winds and lots of snow in the winter and lightning in the summer. Further complicating matters, the tree is not far from our power line or house (someone did not think the placement through when they planted it!). There is another large spruce-like tree right next to it (green though...not blue) and this tree is also showing the dying branches on the bottom (only about 3 feet up), so not as bad. I think this tree is the same age judging by its size. Should we be lopping off these dead branches? In the case of the tree with 15 fete of dead branches, will it be too top-heavy and at a greater risk for falling down if we chop these branches off? Should we start getting quotes to have one or both chopped down (something I really don't want to do unless required for safety)? Thanks so much for any advice anyone can offer!
-meg

shadylane
Green Thumb

We have a variety of pines here at my homestead in Illinois, and we have and are still having the same problem as you described. Blue spruce we have four, two have became sickly and seems that they will go straight to bad and die. Just this last summer, we cut a old scotch pine down due to the same problem, we have a couple of blue spruce left and are keeping an eye on.
We have a white pine..it started to have it but seems to come out of it as of now...it doesn't seem to be the age, I don't know what it is.
As you stated they turn a rusty brown and decline in health..now this alarms me for every where you look here in our county and the next three around us are having the same large noticeable problems with pines and being of a variety species of young and old. I called the ext. office some years back and their given reason was gooseberrie plants...go figure

mscratch

Don't give it up for dead yet. Have those lower branches removed, its unlikely removing them will make the tree unstable because the trunk itsself is unbelieveably strong at that age unless beetles have invaded the heart. You can call your power company who will come out and assess the problem with branches and will remove them for free, or at least our power company here does. Being you are quite fond of your trees I would definitely call in a professional to examine them. The price of the examination will be worth it. Perhaps if you have a conservation dept. they will even do it for free.

applestar
Mod

They said gooseberries are to blame because they are alternate disease carriers of White Pine Blister Rust. ...heh, I can't find the relevant article at Rutgers right now, but here's one from Ohio state.
https://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/pdf/3205.pdf

I can't buy gooseberries or currants for my garden because of this since it is restricted in NJ due to possible adverse effect on the Pine Barrens.

But what you're talking about sounds like White Pine Weevils, doesn't it?
White Pine Weevil:  The white pine weevil (left) kills the top stem growth of conifers (left) and is the most serious economic insect pest of white pine. Eastern white pine is the primary host, but Colorado blue spruce, Norway spruce, and several other pine and spruce species may be affected.  The insect causes damage by the larvae (grubs) feeding on terminal leaders of the host trees.
https://www.maine.gov/doc/mfs/pubs/doc/f ... e_pine.doc

OK, I FINALLY got hits on Rutger's publications, and here's another possibility that can involve both pines and blue spruces: Pine Wilt Disease
https://njaes.rutgers.edu/pubs/plantandp ... 092211.pdf

WildcatNurseryman

The only Blue Spruce that I have seen that are REALLY old were in Portland and they were "limbed-up" as your tree needs to have done. As evergreen trees get very old it is natural, in many cases, for the lower limbs to die, due to being shaded out by higher branches. Removing the dead branches would be the correct thing to do for looks and the future health of the tree. Proper cuts, that don't leave stubs or neglect to leave sufficient branch collar to heal, are important. A tree the size you are refering to most likely would be better dead-wooded by a tree climber / professional. You're lucky to have such a nice tree.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”