pinksand
Greener Thumb

Smothering pachysandra at base of tree

A friend of mine is trying to get rid of pachysandra surrounding the base of a tree. She ripped out as much as she could but knows that she didn't get all the roots. I had told her about a garden project I'm starting using layers of newspaper and cardboard to smoother my existing lawn and she asked me if this would work or at least help smother her pachysandra. If she were to layer newspaper over the pachysandra and then mulch on top, would this harm the tree by suffocating the roots? It's an old established mulberry tree so I would assume the roots go far and deep. I'm not sure exactly how close the pachysandra was to the base of the tree, but I would assume this might be an important detail?

applestar
Mod

I think the pachysandra close to the base of the tree will need to be pulled, but then cardboard and mulch can be used for the rest. Cardboard won't suffocate the tree roots. I would go with cardboard rather than newspaper against the tough vines. Wetting will help to conform to contours.

Some left over vine will try to creep out from underneath so diligent pulling will be needed or those, but thats better than the entire area.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Thank you for the advice applestar!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”