Midwestguy

Crape Myrtle 'Hopi'

I have a 16 foot space by my house that I would like to plant some crape myrtle shrubs along. I am considering the Crape Myrtle 'Hopi', but am not sure how many I need to plant if I want to keep them within that 16 foot space without crowding them. I was considering three. Is that too many?

Hortman

Hello Midwestguy. Ken here in the Chicago area. If you live south of a line
from Dodge City to Salina to Lawrence your shrub should do just fine. There
is only one problem. The ‘Hopi’ gets 8 feet tall and 10 feet wide at maturity.
If you have enough room out from the house, then plant two. If you are planning
on keeping them much lower you could plant three but a lot of pruning will be
involved. Let us know what you decide.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hey Midwest. 16' in which direction. If that is the length then what is the width. I see so many home owners planting crepe myrtles too close to a structure. It is a tree not a shrub. Hopi gets 10' -12' tall and almost as wide. You do not want it infringing on your house so leave 6' to 8' between the trunk and the house. The same distance between the trees.

You did not ask for it but I am including this link on proper pruning. Each year - late winter, early spring I see Crepe Murder taking place.

https://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/communica ... operly.htm

Good luck

Midwestguy

:o I didn't realize Hopi got that big.
The space is 16' long. Width (distance from the house) isn't that big of a deal, although I was hoping to keep the spread no more than 5-6' even if I have to prune them. There is only one window on that side of the house. It is a 4' tall window approx. 5' from the ground. I don't mind if the window is covered up to a 1', which would still allow for a 6' crape myrtle, but I really didn't want the window completely blocked. There are also some low power lines above the space approx. 20' from the ground, so they shouldn't be an issue.
I was also considering the 'Victor Dwarf,' but a nursery told me that if the temperature dropped to 0 degrees, Victor would die to the ground but would re-bloom the following summer. That same nursery also told me that I could keep Hopi to within 4-5' tall with pruning, which is fine since I don't mind pruning at all.
I was also considering 'Chickasaw' but apparently it is a pretty miniature shrub. Some websites claim it only grows 18-24" tall and I was hoping for a crape myrtle that grows at least 3' tall.
Well, let me know what you would suggest, and thanks for the web link on pruning, B.

Thank you.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”