evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Identify this tree >> Viburnum odoratissimum

I was told my tree is a viburnum but have not been able to positively confirm and identify the specie. Perhaps you all can help?

ImageImage

ImageImage

It is not usually such a big tree but I have improved my soil, watered and fed my garden so that I think that helps. Also I have trimmed the tree and it tends to grow more when you do. I have raised the canopy over the years. This would grow from the ground without a canopy in nature I think (see the suckers). I have seen quite a few others and they are all smaller and very bushy.

The flowers are tiny, white and very fragrant with many on a bunch. The berries ripen to red and the birds love them. They are green at the moment as in the picture.

It is everygreen but does most of its leaf shedding in autumn and winter. I have included pictures for the rest.
Last edited by applestar on Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added final ID to the title

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The very small, very fragrant flowers sound like viburnum as do the red berries that birds like.

But the viburnums I am familiar with have crinklier leaves, like this

I just noticed from your other post that you are in South Africa. So I'm not at all familiar with your trees and whether your species of viburnums might look different than mine.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Thanks. Yes that's why I though the guy might be right but then I would like to find the exact specie. This is not indigenous to South Africa.

Mr_bobo_

@evtubbergh, that can't be Viburnum...

Its very similar Prunus laurocerasus, but its not it... something similar...
...maybe some kind form of Prunus I say...

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Mr_bobo_ wrote:@evtubbergh, that can't be Viburnum...

Its very similar Prunus laurocerasus, but its not it... something similar...
...maybe some kind form of Prunus I say...
Thanks. I did look at Prunus africana (red stinkwood) but that is not it. I will have to check the fruit and see if they are stoned but I don't think so. Also most Prunus leaves are lanceolate and this is elliptic. In fact the one main identifier that would take Prunus out is that the inflorescence is branched and I think a Prunus fruit is borne on racemes (unbranched).

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Oh everyone who has been here was being blind. It is obviously a Privet! More specifically a Ligustrum japonicus or Japanese Wax-leaved Privet

Mr_bobo_

evtubbergh wrote:Oh everyone who has been here was being blind. It is obviously a Privet! More specifically a Ligustrum japonicus or Japanese Wax-leaved Privet
LOL ... I don't think so... :roll:

WildcatNurseryman

Viburnum suspensum - Sandankwa Viburnum

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Oh thank you! It is not actually a V. suspensum but your id took me to a page that had this picture of a V. odoratissimum
and I finally have my answer. The flowers for V. suspensum were wrong but when I saw this I knew immediately.

It's good to know the names of plants. There are so many around and my friend just bought a house with a new garden that has a hedge of them. Yay :)

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”