monicastarr4
Newly Registered

How to Care for a New Pussy Willow from Seed

Hi anyone who can help

My 4 year old brought what I'm told is a pussy willow home from school the other day. I don't usually keep plants or bother with gardens. But this is for my daughter and I think that it would be a good lesson on caring for any living thing and responsibility. Having said all that I know absolutly nothing about how to take care of it so that it dosen't die before it grows. It's current state is a little green "thing" in a little cup (about the size of a shot glass) and some soil. I've searched for hours and I found all kinds of info on how to take care of them once they are actually trees but nothing on how to get them that way. To be honest I didn't know that you could even grow them never mind from seeds. I appreciate any help.

Monica

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi Moni :D

I am presuming the sapling(baby tree) was grown in the class room and not outside. Firstly you need to get it used to being outside so it can tolerate wind,rain,warm and cold weather. Over the next few weeks put it outside somewhere quite sheltered when the weather is warm and not too wet. Probably best not to put it in too much sun as its little container will dry out very fast. Make sure you bring it in at night. As the weather warms up leave it out longer and longer until there are no more frosts at night and then you can leave it outside all the time.
Keep an eye on how quickly it is growing. Willows are pretty fast when they get going. Maybe in a little while take it out of the pot and see how much room it has left. If it looks like it has completely filled the pot put it into a slightly bigger one not too much bigger just enough to give it some more soil to grow in. Multi compost will be fine as they like moist soil which brings me to watering it. While it is little you will have to do this a lot as it will dry out quite fast and cannot cope with too much or too little water when so young. Give it a little drink and when the surface looks dry give it a little more. Do not give it too much as this will rot the little root it has at this stage when it is put into a bigger pot you can do this less frequently and give it more. Last thing does the present container have any holes in the bottom? If not you will need to make some so it can drain. Sorry that is a bit of a novel but you did say you were a novice and I thought it better to give too much info rather than not enough! :D

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”