JeffRome2012
Newly Registered

Wisteria help

My mother in Baltimore has an arbor/trellis around 20 ft by 10 ft. It supports 2 large wisteria vines--at the base they are around the diameter of a man's forearm. But some trellis repair was needed and contrary to my instructions, the contractor cut years of wisteria growth all the way back to the main trunk about 3 feet from the ground. How mad should I be? Will it regrow? If so, how fast? Could it actually be improved with new growth? Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It will regrow. An established wisteria like that is hard to kill. However, having been cut back that hard, it likely won't flower next year. You didn't say when this happened. Wisteria sets buds for next year's flowers in Aug-Sept. So likely all the buds have been cut off and it won't flower next year.

It may be a bit rejuvenated and grow vigorously next year, but you will need to do quite a bit of shaping on it, to get it back growing where you want it. It will be a few years before it looks like it did.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

You will loose at least one year of bloom. But I think you should give the contractor a tip.

On a more serious note, I doubt he killed them

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”