new2gardening
Newly Registered

Question about Spring Clean up for Cedar Hedge...

Hello, I've had a look around your great forum and have a question regarding Spring Clean up around our Cedar Hedge. We are in the Toronto, Ontario Zone 6 area. We moved into this place in Jan. 2006 and have an approx. 25 foot tall Cedar Hedge that is on our side between our house and the neighbours. It is on a western exposure.

It's not been cleaned out at all since we've lived here. I'm wondering if it is safe for me to remove all the leaf and garden debris from under this hedge. Would I be damaging it at all? The hedge is very healthy and full but there is about a foot of "junk" underneath all of it. The trunks are quite large and the leaves are start at approx. 12 - 18" up. (I think this is because it gets quite crowded when the Hostas and Peonies are in full bloom etc.) When should we be shaping it as well? Hedge Trimmers? Pruning Shears?

It's in a raised bed that is planted on a stanted slope. There are a couple of Hostas, Peonies, Trilliums, and some other things I've not yet been able to identify. There is also a large flowering tree at the end of this hedge (don't know what that is right now either)

Just wanting to know now if I can do this and also if there is something that I should be doing to keep this hedge as healthy as it has been. Fertilizer? Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

We do have a City of Toronto person coming in mid. June to help us identify our plants and trees etc. but I'm hoping to get a head start on things here. I don't know a thing about gardening but certainly do hope to learn as we have such beautiful gardens all over our property. Many trees (Birch, Weeping Willows, Unknown shrubs, many many Cedars...)

Thank You! :D

PS: We also have an over 40 foot high single Cedar Tree in our front yard - it was planted 50 years ago. In excellent health appearance wise. Should we be fertilizing it? It's much to big to trim or anything else really. Hoping we can also keep it in great shape as well. That faces South/East.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi New2 :D
I would say yes to clearing underneath. Litter just helps to encourage pests and disease. As for the rest I found this link. Hope it is of use.
https://www.gnb.ca/0171/30/0171300009-e.asp

new2gardening
Newly Registered

Hello and Thank You so much for the reply Jess. :) I am feeling soooo much better about this whole "hedge situation" - lol. I went ahead on Monday morning and started cleaning it all out. Lots of dead leaves and branches etc... Was a real soggy mess - got out almost a whole brown bag of junk. Definitely seems to be the best time to clear this out with all the other plants just starting out. Little purple buds are starting up in the front of it (Peonies)...

I can't wait for the City to come by and help me identify all of what we have here. I've done a lot of reading on gardening and may even go for a course or to to further learn about it.

Thank You too for that article - I see I won't be needing to fertilize at all as it's quite old and established. I've bookmarked that site for future reference.

Take care.

Jess
Greener Thumb

You are very welcome :D
Be careful about starting any courses. You could become as hooked on gardening as the rest of us!!! :lol:

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”