straycat999
Newly Registered

Buy trees with curved or leaning trunks?

I posted earlier about cornus kousa Red Select. Was planning to create a border with these in front yard. Have learned that any dogwood in my area is at risk due to deer. So I am planning to buy a couple of kousas for the back yard which is fenced. Since I will use these as specimans, I have been considering Satomi. I'm attracted to the crazy shapes of some at the nursery.

On one, the trunk is straight to a point, then goes horizontal (see below). Has interesting look (reminds me of trees in Japanese paintings), but is it totally impractical? Would snow on the branches cause the trunk to break? Is a tree with a weird trunk like that an unhealthy tree?

There are others where the trunks are leaning and are held up with stakes (see photo below of trees in a line with burgundy leaves). The guy at the nursery said I could position the tree straight when I plant. He also said the tree would start to grow straight even if I planted as is in pot. Is this true?

I also like the one (also below) with the straight trunk and very strong horizontal branching. Perhaps this is the best bet? I might get two trees if two seem viable.

I am a novice re trees so will appreciate any advice. Thanks.

[img]https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9313222[/img]

[img]https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9313222&extraimg=0[/img]

[img]https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9313222&extraimg=1[/img]

[img]https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9313222&extraimg=2[/img]

straycat999
Newly Registered

I have read that circling roots in the container can cause a tree to lean and this can be hard to correct. I'm not going to buy leaning trees or the tree with the trunk that goes horizontal.

applestar
Mod

Maybe you've made your decision already, but I can't see the photos -- maybe because I'm not a member of that forum.

Sideways/leaning in a container could be that it had been set at an angle for a long time or that there were neighboring plants pushing the branch or trunk.
Bareroot trees and shrubs are often *temporarily* stored before planting by "heeling in" buried at 45° angle. If this condition had been prolonged they could/would have grown side ways.

Bonsai folks intentionally re-direct growth in these and other ways for added interest.

Some trees have naturally contorted growth patterns and some trees lend themselves easily to pruning and training in these ways. I.e. you don't have to buy them that way but buy healthy trees and eventually train them in to pleasing shape.

Nurseries should not be opposed to you or one of their staff popping the rootball out of the container so you can verify its condition.

straycat999
Newly Registered

Applestar, thank you for your reply.

One of the trees does have a bonsai look, which I liked. But I'm worried that with all the branching on the horizontal part, the trunk might break during a snow, for example.

I wish I could make the photos appear here. I've tried "Img" with and without space around url, but they just aren't showing up. If someone can advise about what I am doing wrong, I'd appreciate it. I did post some photos another day, and I don't remember doing anything differently.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Comb out and open up root mass when you take the tree out of its pot.

Stake the tree upright, and go on with your life.

Recumbant or prostrate trees are a matter of choice.
Last edited by tomc on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

You need to surround the link ending in the image file name.jpg with the begin and end img codes. These aren't the right link to use for displaying within the post.

straycat999
Newly Registered

applestar: Unfortunately, I can't get the images at the other forum to appear in a window by themselves with jpeg at end of url. Must be because I posted with the message there. Too bad you can't upload photos directly here.

tomc: Thank you for your input.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

straycat999 wrote:On one, the trunk is straight to a point, then goes horizontal (see below). Has interesting look (reminds me of trees in Japanese paintings), but is it totally impractical? Would snow on the branches cause the trunk to break? Is a tree with a weird trunk like that an unhealthy tree?
Not if you water it and mulch it.

I do grow bonsai and have paid extra for a tree with good motion (squirms bends etc)

pltw1
Newly Registered

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PFTMSW6
I am in an engineering class in Twin Valley High school and I need our help taking this survey for a class. Thank you so much!!

ja-gardener

Absolutely you can use plants with curving trunks, bends, etc. At the Japanese garden where I work we plant straight growing trees at an angle to imply motion. Someday I will do a post on my blog about this. You can see my site for examples under the Japanese garden pruning page as well as in posts

Look at trees in nature. The ones on the edge of forests or on stream beds and you will see lots of bends in their trunks. Now there should be some reason for how you place trees with these bends, but that is beyond the room or time I have now.

I can't see your images, but you want to avoid the tree growing straight up then curving, it is better to plant it at an angle so it appears curved from where it comes out of the ground.

Jim

tomc
Super Green Thumb

FWIW I've seen more than one dogwood or lilac chain-saw pruned knee high, that went on with a full and vegatative life.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”