rachelmark
Newly Registered

shaded bushes

Does anyone know of any pretty bushes that thrive in full shade??

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, the denser the shade, the harder to find something that will really thrive there. And you didn't say anything about where you are or what kind of climate. Here's a list of shade tolerant shrubs, but they are not all cold hardy, so if you are in a cold winter area, you will need to look them up to see which ones are ok in your conditions.

daphne, hydrangea, boxwood, holly, gardenia, azalea, camellia, nandina, beautyberry, viburnum, carolina allspice, witch hazel.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sorry, I saw the Sandy in Location, which is where I am used to looking and didn't notice the Sandy, Utah in your signature line. It looks like you are in zone 7a.

So of these:

daphne, hydrangea, boxwood, holly, gardenia, azalea, camellia, nandina, beautyberry, viburnum, carolina allspice, witch hazel.

The daphne might or might not be hardy for you, depending on variety. The gardenia and camellia probably not, unless you get one of the new varieties that have been bred for cold hardiness. Everything else should be fine...

rachelmark
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:Sorry, I saw the Sandy in Location, which is where I am used to looking and didn't notice the Sandy, Utah in your signature line. It looks like you are in zone 7a.

So of these:

The daphne might or might not be hardy for you, depending on variety. The gardenia and camellia probably not, unless you get one of the new varieties that have been bred for cold hardiness. Everything else should be fine...
Thank you for the help, I love hydrangeas and I hope they will do well in my yard!!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”