Big Lebowski
Newly Registered

Sugar Maple

Hello. How long does it take for a Sugar Maple to become 12" in diameter - which I understand is the soonest you could tap the tree for syrup?

I am thinking ahead for a easy retirement business to go along with bee keeping. However I can't wait 40 years for the trees to mature. I'd surely be dead by then.

Thank you.

ynot
Greener Thumb

Big Lebowski wrote:Hello. How long does it take for a Sugar Maple to become 12" in diameter - which I understand is the soonest you could tap the tree for syrup?

I am thinking ahead for a easy retirement business to go along with bee keeping. However I can't wait 40 years for the trees to mature. I'd surely be dead by then.

Thank you.
Hello Big Lebowski,

When asking: 'How long it takes to get... ?{Well, Anywhere}'.

It's important to know where you are starting from...Seed, Sapling, Mature tree...? Know what I mean? ;).

I surfed up some information that you may find useful.

[url=https://maple.dnr.cornell.edu/pubs/trees.htm]From this site,[/url] A bit about their growth rates:
The growth rate and crown form of sugar maple are largely dependent on the origin of the saplings, as well as environmental factors. Saplings originating from sprouts tend to grow faster than those from seeds or even planted seedlings. The latter two, however, usually produce a healthier and better-formed mature tree. Sprouts from stumps with diameters of less than 2 inches are less likely to develop decay than those from larger stumps or multiple sprouts.

Sugar maple trees average about 1 foot of height growth and 0.2 inch of diameter growth annually for the first 30 to 40 years. Hence a 30-year-old tree might be 6 to 8 inches in diameter and 30 to 35 feet in height. After about 140 to 150 years, height growth ceases and radial growth slows greatly. Although rare, old-growth sugar maple stands can average 300 to 400 years in age; individual trees range from 70 to 110 feet tall with diameters at breast height of 20 to 36 inches.
You may find [url=https://maple.dnr.cornell.edu/produc/index.htm]this page[/url] to be helpful as well [Check the FAQs :D].

Hope this helps 8).

Good luck & Your welcome.

ynot

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”