pastina
Newly Registered

new redbud not budding out yet?

I bought two 6 foot eastern redbud trees a month ago. one started to leaf out allready about 4 days ago, the other one has not and appears dormant still.
the temps have been hot the past week, upper 70's to low 80's. all my new trees are leafing out except this redbud.
I scratched at a twig and it was indeed green underneath, but why hasnt it leafed out? is it dying?
ive been watering it well this past week. its in full sun, same conditons as the other redbud
I'm in zone 6
:)

Grey
Greener Thumb

I'd say give it some time. It may still be napping. I have a few plants that seem to be taking their time waking up this year.

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Talk to the nursery where you bought the trees. Some trees, Redbuds among them, can have difficulty breaking dormancy when they have been moved. Nurseries commonly use a process called "sweating" (essentially creating an artificially humid and warm environment) to push bud break. Your local experts would be in a better position to advise you as this is somewhat timing critical. For trees already in the ground it is a bit more difficult. Good luck.

pastina
Newly Registered

MaineDesigner wrote:Talk to the nursery where you bought the trees. Some trees, Redbuds among them, can have difficulty breaking dormancy when they have been moved. Nurseries commonly use a process called "sweating" (essentially creating an artificially humid and warm environment) to push bud break. Your local experts would be in a better position to advise you as this is somewhat timing critical. For trees already in the ground it is a bit more difficult. Good luck.
the tree was bought at lowes

yes it is in the ground and still not has budded, but its still green underneath so I have some hope.
its been raining the past few days maybe that will help it :?:

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”