pinksand
Greener Thumb

When to prune?

I've always known not to prune flowering bushes while in bloom, but other than that I've been receiving conflicting advice. Some people have said Fall, but I think I read somewhere here that pruning in the Fall will promote new growth that will then get shocked by the cold. So is Spring pruning recommended?

The trees/shrubs/hedges I have are crape myrtles, rose of sharon, azaleas, and various evergreen bushes.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You may be seeing different things, because when and how to prune is very different depending on the plant, when it flowers, when it sets buds, etc.

For example: crepe myrtle really doesn't need much pruning, but if you want to prune it, it should be done while it is dormant, late winter or early spring. Rose of Sharon being a late summer/ fall bloomer would be pruned in spring, after it is actively growing. Azaleas set their buds for next year in the fall this year. So they should be pruned right after they finish flowering.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Thank you so much! Your advice is very much appreciated :) I'm not sure whether or not the azaleas were pruned after blooming since we moved into the house in July. They don't look out of control or anything so maybe I will let them be until after they bloom in the spring.

ja-gardener

Here is a pruning calender from Virginia that gives suggested pruning times for shrubs. Adjust for your zone of course.

https://pubs.ext.vt.edu/430/430-462/430-462.html

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Thanks Ja-gardener! That's a very helpful reference :)

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”