Smallgardener

How to get a Pin oak to grow

Here I am again back in tree help section. I am on a quest to defy all logic and get a pin oak to grow in SW Ks. I figure with our soils around here being acidic it would grow. By acidic I mean 5.5 to 6.5 on the non irrigated acres. Our water is has a hardness in the middle of the road and it causes the P.H. to rise to 7 or 7.5.
My Pin oak been in ther ground 3 years now and has grown 1 inch per year, it is now 2 ft tall. LOL. Is there anything I can do to get it to take hold and grow. I have put acicifier in my water to water it, iron around it and on it, and used elemental sulpher to bring down the ph. Somewhere I have a soil sample of my yard I will add that here when I find it.
This is more or less a project just to see if I can do it. I had a neibhor the last place I lived that had a pin oak 25 ft high. And soil there was atrocius. like ph of 8.2 and heavy clay/caleache.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Other than to create a dish out to ther drip edge and to layer that dish with some bark mulch. The next ninety-seven out of the first one hundred things a tree needs to grow are water.

Repeat water as a needed item ninety-six times.

You can 'hope' to get the chemistry right, but if you don't water every single day it don't rain, all the sulphur in the world won't make your tree grow.

applestar
Mod

I suppose as a "project" it may be interesting to try, but wouldn't it be more -- I don't know -- worthwhile? -- to try to establish a tree that would provide food source for wildlife or humans ... Or maybe a tree that is native to your area but is losing foothold/endangered due to over harvesting or land development?

Although any kind of oak is a good wildlife foodsource, if this tree grows but remains a weakling due to stresses, then it maybe more prone to diseases and pests (wrong kind of wildlife), more likely to be structurally unsound. Depending on how much it grows, could it pose a problem in the future?

...just something to think about. :wink:

Smallgardener

Ok, I will give it more water. It seems the only thing I can do more of. I try and soak it good once a week. I was thinking that the more city water it gets the worse it could be. Right now it is a pale green with the outer edges of the leaves a little brown and crispy. I will make sure and water it every other day and see what happens. I has mulch around it to hold the moisture but I can probe the soil to check it.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Oaks in general, and red oaks in particular grow a bigger set of feet than its crown.

Those roots will follow your water, as well as growing more vigorously for the application.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”