AlexTheGreat
Newly Registered

Royal Purple Smoke Tree Issue

I have a RP Smoke Tree. It's around 4-4.5 feet tall. It was in an area for about 2-3 months, and I decided that it wasn't the best place for it. I carefully dug it up, and replanted it in the best area of my front yard. Now that it's been there for a week or so, it's leaves are curling up, some getting partially brown, and the top leaves are wilting severely (they were purple-like, still are).

The ground where the roots are seems to be kind of cracking. I do have mulch around it in a doughnut-like shape surrounding the root area. I've been told not to use the mulch around the stem bottoms. Not sure if I'm over watering, under watering, moved it at the wrong time, if it's in shock, if it will survive the move/transfer, etc. Is there anything I can do to revive it. I love this tree and it has some good shape to it, and would hate to lose it, if all possible.

I'd like to know, too, if I need to trim the branches where the leaves have any kind of brown on them, or wilting issues... Do I just leave it alone for now? Or? I haven't put any fertilizer on it yet. Not sure if I should do that, too, or? Detailed answers would be appreciated.

AlexTheGreat
Newly Registered

Marlinggardener -

Thank you so much for your reply.... Much appreciated. I bookmarked your notes so I can remember to do as you advised. I sure hope it recovers. It was so pretty before I moved it. Still is on some parts of it, but not much. The limbs do seem to be okay, though. I'll just continue to water it as I have every couple or three days. I do dampen it moderately as I have been told to do more of the large water and less frequently, etc. Again, thank you very much! I'll keep it posted on how it's doing. :-)

VioletBlue
Newly Registered

I have a Velvet Cloak smoke tree it has been in about four years now. It is absolutely beautiful in spring with its fabulous rosette type leaf formation in a beautiful deep bronze color. Then the leaves turn green in the heat of the summer and (I have been told) supposedly turn fabulous autumn shades in the fall. But my smoke tree has not done that yet. So far the leaves fall off before they turn into autumn shades, until this year, and they seem to be holding on so I am looking forward to some sort of autumnal show. It has never "smoked" yet.

However I am writing to tell you that my little tree behaved just like yours soon after it was planted and I was sure I was going to lose it, but it came back large as life the next spring. As another member advised, keep it well watered but don't let it stand in water, don't drown, just look after it the best you can, it is suffering from transplant shock, but it will come back next year you'll see. Personally I would not fertilize it, let it settle in first, then give it a good compost next spring. Good Luck

AlexTheGreat
Newly Registered

Thank you, VioletBlue for the response. Been busy so that's why I haven't until now. It has done a lot better so far since my last post.

The tree is actually almost full of leaves (slowly but surely), and most of the dead-ish ones are gone. I think by next spring (2013), it will be pretty normal.

Again, thank you.

baldwinshere
Newly Registered

Lol Smoke Bushs (Cotinus) always do that, they don't like been moved as they stop taking up water for a while despite watering until new fresh roots start to establish. Its their defences, the cells all close up creating a barrer stopping the risk of infection but also water for a while.

I used to propagate thousands of them when I worked in a Nursery in Hampshire, UK. In case your interested for future reference a fully grown smoke bush can be transplanted and it will even recover if its cut hard to a foot from the ground, it will even double or triple its stems that way (Like Dogwood). You can even pin a branch to the ground in autumn and by next autumn it will have rooted itself (Layering) creating a whole new plant ready to be cut off and replanted where ever you want it.

I know... pointless info you didn't ask for but just in case your interested :P

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”