glmccready
Newly Registered

Crepe Myrtle=want a tree variety (have a bush)

I live in an area the Crepe Myrtle grows naturally in the woods. I planted 2 in my front yard 15 years ago which recently needed extensive trimming. Now branches are coming out everywhere, but the intention was to have a "tree" rather than a bush. The more I trim the worse it gets.

Can someone recommend a replacement that will be a small tree with few branches at the base and no more than 15' in height?
Thanks,
Gary in Salisbury, MD

PS I found this chart but would love some input:
https://www.usna.usda.gov/PhotoGallery/CrapemyrtleGallery/CrapeTable.html

Hortman

Hello Gary. Ken here. Sorry no one got back to you with an answer until now.
I'm not on this site that often. Here goes.
There are only 2 trees on your list that fit your criteria. They are ‘Apalachee’
and ‘Sioux’. Both are trees that get 15-18 feet in height. In the future when
pruning a shrub to a tree this is what to do. Crepe Myrtles bloom on new wood
so they should be pruned in winter or early spring. Remove the basal suckers,
twiggy growth, crossing branches, and branches that are growing towards the
center of the plant. Gradually remove side branches up to a height of 4-5 feet.
Pick out a central leader to be the trunk of your tree and prune all others back to
an outside bud. The rule of thumb in pruning is prune no more than 1/3 of the plant
at any one time. Prune all of the branches 1/3 back, or 1/3 of the branches all the way
back, or a combination of both. I hope this helps. Take care.

glmccready
Newly Registered

Thanks Ken, No problem about the wait. I've trimmed the suckers off my crape twice already...lol Appreciate the info about trimming in the winter. I think I'm going to dig the current crepes out this spring and plant the "tree" type. Now I need to find some Apalachee or Sioux. I have a friend who owns a wholesale nursery but I hate to bother him for 2 trees. The upside is he can find anything for me.

Gary in Salisbury, MD

PS I live about 25 miles from Pocomoke, which I assume is where that variety come from. Crepe myrtles are everywhere in marshy woods around here, but all bushy.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”