Midwestguy

Will my Wine & Roses Weigelas become more drought tolera

I have six Wine & Roses Weigelas I planted as one gallon plants this past April. Right now they are getting leaf scorched (some worse than others), and I have been watering every day. All this water usage is really going to hike up my water bill. So I am hoping that daily watering of these Weigelas will not become an annual summer tradition. I read in a couple of resources that Weigelas are drought tolerant, but so far I am not seeing it. Does anyone know if Wine & Roses Weigelas are drought tolerant once they are established?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

"Drought-tolerant" plants always need water their first season. Sometimes even their second season. Many new gardeners kill their brand-new "drought-tolerant" lavender, toyonal, and other plants in California by just planting them, watering them in that first time, and walking away. :shock:

"Oh, well...they're 'drought-tolerant,' aren't they?" "Ah...not until they're established."

More to the point of the weigelas--or any new tree/large shrub--is whether they're being deep-watered like they need. Daily, shallow watering won't encourage a plant to develop the deep roots needed to survive periods of drought. I'd suggest deeper, less frequent watering as well as providing shade during the first season, esp. one as hot as this one is being for the eastern half of the country. Shade cloth, bridal tulle (often on sale at fabric stores like Joann's), or even old sheets will help cut down the solar radiation on the leaves of new trees.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

But yes, after it is well established they are quite drought tolerant. I have not watered mine at all, all through this drought. A lot of my garden is burning up, the lawn is dead, and the weigela is just fine, actually happier than it was, because it is liking all this sunshine.

It has been where it is something like eight years, so definitely well established.

Midwestguy

Okay, thank you. That makes me feel a little better. Of course Ohio does not have the same climate as South Central Kansas, but if you haven't watered your Weigelas at all during this drought and they are doing well, then I'm sure mine will eventually come around too.
I think my Wine & Roses Weigelas have finally stopped scorching...I think. And I think that they might be starting to get a little darker. I guess I won't really know until all of that Miracle Grow plant food is out of their sysytems. Hopefully by the end of August my Wine & Roses Weigelas will look like...well...Wine & Roses Weigelas.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Of course Ohio does not have the same climate as South Central Kansas,

This year maybe not too different! More humidity in the air, I'm sure. But we are having 100 degrees and no rain for a long time...

Midwestguy

It rained yesterday for about 20 min. It wasn't much, but it helped cool things off a tiny bit. Tomorrow it is only supposed to get up to 88 degrees, so that should help too.
This evening my daughter and I have been watching a super cell to the west of us, but it is moving north east, so it will probably miss us. :(

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”