KeriFord

Tree is cracking the driveway...any suggestions?

a friend of mine has a tree cracking her driveway and she's wondering what her options are. I told her I'd ask here. If anyone could help, she would appreciate it!

[img]https://www.nadialee.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/IMAG0024.jpg[/img]

I'm wondering if I have no choice but to remove the evergreen closest to the garage door b/c it's getting way too big & it has no room to spread evenly b/c the tree & bushes are against a concrete brick wall (the other side is a staircase to my neighbor's main entry door which is on the 2nd level -- my main door/entry is on the 1st level). I'm afraid that the tree will just get bigger and bigger and invade my part of the house and possibly cause more damages not only to the driveway but to the townhouse itself.

I'm guessing that when I fix the cracked driveway, the crew is going to remove the tree roots because they're too close to the surface. If so, I may need to know two things --

1. A way to prevent the tree roots from growing under the driveway again forever.

2. If #1 is not possible, what to replace the trees/bushes with. I'm looking for something hardy, preferably evergreen, does well in Zone 7a (the house is located in northern Virginia), and do not have psycho roots that are going to destroy my driveway again. A friend of mine mentioned lavender, but I know nothing about it (I'm a horrible gardener, in case you couldn't tell )

KeriFord

*bump for anyone who was away on the weekend and might not have seen this*

thanks!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I was hoping someone with more expertise than I would jump in.

This is beyond gardening. This is a structural problem. If your neighbor purchased her house (I.e., is not renting it), she can probably get a good reference to an arborist or pavement contractor from her realtor. At least, that's an excellent way of getting references here in California.

An arborist can render a professional opinion on how much damage the tree can sustain (removing roots, for example) without compromising its overall health/survival. A pavement contractor can re-level the driveway by shaving down the protruding root, but only if it's known to be safe to the tree.

Worst case: The tree has to come out and the driveway repaved. :(

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

I'd venture to say the eruptions in the drive is not due to the evergreen to the left of the garage door.

my bet is there's a large tree out of frame to the left.

you probably already know the answer, as unpleasant as it is:
big tree gotta' go, resurface drive.

lopping off a few roots and leaving the tree will do nothing but generate a recurrence of the issue in 5 or so years.

KeriFord

thanks Dillbert and Cynthia! I'll pass them both along!

Midwestguy

Dillbert is correct about the tree and driveway. A good tree to replace the other one with is a Chinese Pistache if you are in zone 6 or higher. If you are lower than zone 6, I would recommend an oak tree or some other deep rooted tree.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”