WolfBard

Southern Magnolia

I'm sure with the posts I've made thus far it looks like my garden is falling apart. But I figure... it is the start of the season and I want to take advantage.

So we've had our Southern Magnolia for a few years now. It did great the first year. It has been getting steadily worse since. Last year, and seems this year, too, the leaves were sparse. It has life, and it managed one flower last year, but the leaves are not on most of the branches. The trunk is turning an ash gray as well.

How can I save my Southern Magnolia, if it is even possible?

Grey
Greener Thumb

I think we need to know more about where it is. How much sun does it get, how much water, and how is your soil?

WolfBard

It's always in direct sunlight. I'm not sure about the water as I have not been the care giver until recently. My parents planted it in the back of the yard as part of their "natural fence" at the end of the yard. The soil is clay, potting soil, and conditioner, but it shouldn't be too bad if the other Southern Magnolias in the area are thriving in the same stuff. We have neighbors with them and they are also a major part of the decoration for the subdivision. NC soil... it's not great unless you're a sculptor. LOL!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”