DADEO
Newly Registered

JAPANESE MAPLE FROZE ?

HERE IS CENTRAL CAL HAD A HARD FREEZE IN JANUARY. ONE OF MY 10' MAPLES DIED. BUT THE OTHER IS GROWING FINE 15' AWAY, THO SOME DEAD TWIGS AND SMALL BRANCHES. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM LIKE THIS BEFORE.

ANY IDEAS? WAS IT THE FREEZE OR A BORER? PUZZLED.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Not being in your zone, I'm a-guessing that if the temps dropped below, say, 25, for more than one or two nights in a row (or days!), yeah, they didn't like the freeze. I'm in Zone 5, allegedly, and I cover mine when the temps drop below freezing and they stay covered until I'm sure temps will remain above 38-40 at night, steadily. We had a nice warm-up the end of March here, but I didn't buy into it and left the covers on. It's now been in the 20's every night for two weeks and counting. I'm sure there are buds under there, but they won't see sun until I'm seeing proper nighttime temps for another couple of weeks. Don't worry, they're not smothered; just some old bedsheets and straw. I take it off in layers to harden them to the sun--they're pretty thin-skinned. (Like the author, I guess...) You may see some adventitious buds further back on the branches or trunk that may break dormancy later; if so, prune back to just above them and give it a little TLC this year. Bugs can be hard to spot, look for holes in bark or funny bumps or nodules. Your local extension office or gardening school (Japanese maple club?) may be able to provide more specifics. Hope this helps.

Happy Gardening.
Wingdesigner

DADEO
Newly Registered

Thanks for the advice.
out here in california we really don't have to worry too much about temps below 30 a whole lot. over the years haven't had to cover much cept when its in the 20s and for several days then need to cover succulents, any potted plants, geraniums. tender stuff. but never had any trouble with my maples, until now. will let it sit for a while before I trim out the 'dead' limbs/twigs to see if any new growth emerges.
have had some birches nearby and over 15 yrs the 3 have bit the dust with borers so thot the same w/ the maple.
the only major plant I have to worry about here is my orange tree, especially if still have fruit on the tree. when the first frost is predicted here about early december then all the oranges come off, otherwise they are history.
thanks again for the advice. and I'll check locally for any pest problems.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”