Brown Thumbs

Can I move this red oak?

We have a red oak growing in an azalea bush. It is around 5 ft tall and I was going to leave it, but I'm thinking about moving it to a better location this winter. Problem is the tree is a bigger than ones I've translplanted before and I'm sure the roots are tangled up with the azalea roots. Can I move it without killing the tree and azalea?

Picture below...
Last edited by Brown Thumbs on Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brown Thumbs

Brown Thumbs wrote:We have a red oak growing in an azalea bush. It is around 5-6 ft tall and I was going to leave it, but I'm thinking about moving it to a better location this winter. Problem is the tree is a little bigger than ones I've translplanted before and I'm sure the roots are tangled up with the azalea roots. Can I move it without killing the tree and azalea?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

short answer: maybe. an oak that size will probably have a deep taproot...trying to get enough of it to not set the oak back too far may do a lot of damage to the azalea...

WildcatNurseryman

If I were going to transplant the oak I would pop the azalea/rhodos out of the ground first as they are shallow and dense rooted, making them easy to transplant. Once those are watered and set aside for their replanting you should begin work on the oak. You will have the appropriate room to work and will now be able to get a larger and more intact root-ball. Chances appear fairly high by the looks of that stump in the foreground that you will be swinging an ax/maddox at some point as well so the added space will be much appreciated. Charts are available on the net to determine root-ball size for your particular sized tree. Caliper size and species will make that determination. Good luck.

Brown Thumbs

WildcatNurseryman wrote:If I were going to transplant the oak I would pop the azalea/rhodos out of the ground first as they are shallow and dense rooted, making them easy to transplant. Once those are watered and set aside for their replanting you should begin work on the oak. You will have the appropriate room to work and will now be able to get a larger and more intact root-ball. Chances appear fairly high by the looks of that stump in the foreground that you will be swinging an ax/maddox at some point as well so the added space will be much appreciated. Charts are available on the net to determine root-ball size for your particular sized tree. Caliper size and species will make that determination. Good luck.
Thanks; I'll check out the charts you mentioned. I love red oaks and have a good place for one. I really wish I would have dug it up two winters ago!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”