OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

How to Bush Out a Fig Tree

So I have a fig tree about 6 feet tall including the 5 gallon bucket its on, the tree has about 3 branches but the branches are on the last top feet so there is just a long trunk that has no branches, I want to get my fig to have branches on the bottom part of the trunk, how can I do this?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

after this season's done, cut the main trunk down 12-18 inches from the soil. leave a few buds in each direction, it'll bush out more next year.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

There is no buds at the bottom I'm worry that I will cut and the plant just dies

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

there'll be a little bud (even if you can't see it) every place there has been a leaf in the past. take a pic of the lower trunk, I bet I can point out some. definitely wait at least until it drops leaves for the year, though.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

[img]https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee442/OROZCOVICTOR/f707aa4f.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee442/OROZCOVICTOR/e9d3664b.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee442/OROZCOVICTOR/cadfe90f.jpg[/img]

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Thats the fig as you can see it only has 2 branches that don't do much at all
Last edited by OROZCONLECHE on Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

yeah, there's leafscars (and thus, currently dormant buds) all down the stem. does it drop leaves for winter where you are? I still think you'll be fine cutting it down to just 8" to a foot of the main trunk, during winter. you'll get multiple branches from below where you cut, bush-style.

figs are super-tough. wait until it's dormant, make the cut, have faith. the odds for success are very good.

and while you're at it, how about a slightly bigger pot and a shot of balanced fertilizer of some sort?

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

I Just got this From a friend he gave it to me because I was curious about how they taste, I'm not sure if it will drop any leafs during winter and I guess I can cut it as far as 1 foot just to be safe and a bigger pot is a must, I have some fish fertilizer so I can use that to help it back up but I guess the hard part will be waiting till winter or fall.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

OROZCONLECHE wrote:I guess the hard part will be waiting till winter or fall.
surely you've got enough other stuff going on to keep you occupied for a few months. :wink:

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Indeed but this is my first Fruit Tree...that I own just want to make it the best I can lol

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”