njs138
Newly Registered

Maple tree had buds but never leafed - is it dead

I have a rather large maple tree that I have never had trouble with until this year. It budded but never had a single leaf come out. Now it looks dead and branches are breaking off easier than I would hope. Any ideas on how to tell what is wrong? We also noticed that there is an old wound in the upper branches that may have been a spot for something to infect the tree. HELP!!!

bangstrom

Gently scrape the bark and see if it is green underneath. Start at the extremities and work towards the main trunk. No green means it is dead.

njs138
Newly Registered

There is some very faint green. Should I give it a year to see if it comes back or once that green starts to fade is it definitely dead?

shadylane
Green Thumb

Maples,that I have delt with I find in discovery die from with in. You may have only a couple of inches of solid material on the outside and the inside totally rotted. I have noticed black ants being a companion along with this. Not saying they are the creator of the problem, also weaping can be seen on the outside. You mentioned a wound, and that also is a sign that it's in trouble. 'Acer species'-Maples have problems with verticillium wilt.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”