Don_Lightfoot
Newly Registered

What is this shrub and is it OK?

I certainly do not have a Green thumb. This tree/shrub was planted about seven years ago. When it gets going it grows like a weed. However, this year it seems to be blooming late, even for here in Ontario.

First, I would like to know what it is called? It only reflects Green leaves and no coloured buds or fruit.

Second, based on the picture below taken May 24/12, is it in trouble? Should I be trimming the limbs that do not have any Green buds?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

[img]https://I.pbase.com/o6/68/432268/1/143551180.jkm17e3M.01.JPG[/img]

Don_Lightfoot
Newly Registered

That image I posted seems OK on one of my computers. but not on the other. Maybe some of you cannot see it. Will try a different link.

[img]https://www.pbase.com/don_lightfoot/image/143551180.jpg[/img]

WildcatNurseryman

It's a weeping Mulberry Morus alba 'Pendula'and you should prune the dead out every year. It is not a particularly long-lived tree, but from the caliper size it should not be dieng back quite this bad. They are prone to canker and bacterial blight. Something is going onwith it besides normal die-back and old age. Removal may, unfortunately, be the solution. Start by gettund ALL of the dead wood out of the tree back to GOOD live wood. Let it grow this season, even though it will look totally different and maybe even ugly, then fertilize in the Fall. Best of luck for the Spring, because that is when you will know if it comes out or stays. New growth fills in quickly (almost TOO well). I would love to get ahold of that thing with my pruners. If you take it out, there are some other weeping trees that are better options, if interested. Be more agressive with your corrective pruning of this plant. You won't hurt this one by cleaning it out and hard pruning every year.

Don_Lightfoot
Newly Registered

I almost went ahead to prune it this morning, but really wanted to wait for some knowledgeable advice. Thanks for your input.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”